This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a roundup of the week’s points, miles and travel industry news you may have missed:
Earn 1,000 AAdvantage Miles with SPG
Stay two nights or longer at participating Starwood hotels in North and Latin America through January 31, 2016 and you can earn 1,000 AAdvantage bonus miles. When booking, use rate code AIRPRO and be sure to have your AAdvantage number saved in your SPG profile.
Hertz Offering Up to Triple Gold Plus Rewards for Rentals
You can earn double Gold Plus Rewards points on your first qualifying rental, and then triple Gold Plus Rewards points on further qualifying rentals from September 8 to December 15, 2015. You must first register for the offer, and new Gold Plus members will need to wait 48 hours for their enrollment to be processed before registering for the promotion.
Get a 5% Discount on Alaska Airlines Insider Fares
You can get 5% off Insider Fares when booking on the Alaska Airlines website using the promo code EC6208. You must book by September 7, 2015.
American Airlines Offers Fast Track to Elite Status
If you fly on American, US Airways, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines or Qantas and earn the required elite-qualifying points between September 14 and December 23, 2015, you’ll receive elite status through February 28, 2017. The chart below shows how many points you’ll need to reach each elite level. Make sure to first register for the offer.
|Elite status level||Elite-qualifying points needed|
Get 3,000 Bonus Avianca Miles with Your First Rocketmiles Booking
Avianca and Rocketmiles are offering a bonus of 3,000 Avianca LifeMiles to first-time Rocketmiles customers for booking a stay by December 31, 2015. This 3,000-mile bonus is in addition to the 500-10,000 miles per night you can earn for each stay. Note that you must book by December 31, 2015, but your stay can occur before or after that date.
Win Starwood Points and Prizes by Playing Open the World
Register to play the Open the World of SPG sweepstakes. You could win a number of daily instant prizes:
- Free Night Awards
- Gift cards from Amazon.com and American Express
- Bonus Starpoints
You can play daily through September 30, 2015; for each day you play, you’ll be entered to win the grand prize of a week-long luxury vacation. See the terms and conditions for more details.
Win a Gogo Inflight Tech Pack
Enter Gogo’s end-of-summer contest to win a complete travel gadget pack, featuring a Thule backpack filled with an Asus touchscreen laptop, HP Windows tablet, Garmin fitness tracker, Samsung headphones, a Sony camera and more. The end date and time of the contest isn’t fully clear, but if you enter before September 7, 2015 you should have a chance to win.
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards