This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For the past few years, American Express has periodically raised the welcome bonuses on its personal and business OPEN Starwood Preferred Guest credit cards from the usual 25,000 points to 30,000 points. These increased bonuses usually appear at the end of summer for about a month; however, it looks like they’re coming back a little early this year.
This comes on the heels of Amex lowering the minimum spending requirement on the consumer version of the card from $5,000 in 6 months to just $3,000 within 3 months of account opening, which is more in line with competing cards. Best of all, it looks like Amex will keep that same lower spending requirement even for the larger welcome bonus, though the spending requirement on the business version is $5,000 within the first 3 months.
Here’s the info about the new, limited-time offers on these cards:
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
What Are Starpoints Worth?
While an extra 5,000 points may not seem like a monumental increase, I value Starpoints at 2.4 cents apiece, so those 5,000 extra points are like an extra $120 in value – a nice little bump considering the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year on both cards.
In an era where we’ve seen devaluation after devaluation from the likes of Hilton, Club Carlson and even Hyatt, Starwood remains a strong program with a great portfolio of hotels and decent redemption values, including cash & points rates, and some competitive promos like the current targeted one offering up to 7,500 bonus points for stays.
Apart from hotel redemptions, one of the most valuable aspects of the Starwood Preferred Guest program is that it partners with over 30 airlines, so you can transfer your Starpoints directly to your frequent flyer accounts. Plus, you receive a 5,000-mile bonus when you transfer 20,000 Starpoints, so transferring 20,000 Starpoints to American Airlines or Delta (for example) would net you 25,000 AAdvantage miles or SkyMiles.
Though not mentioned in the terms above, one of the other valuable benefits offered by both Starwood Amex cards is the that you automatically get elite credit for 2 stays/5 nights each year you’re a cardmember. That’s 20% of the way to Gold status. Furthermore, if you spend $30,000 on your card within a calendar year, you automatically get SPG Gold status outright! SPG Gold benefits include earning an extra point per $1 on Starwood purchases, 4pm late checkout, enhanced guest rooms and a choice of welcome amenity (options include bonus Starpoints, premium internet access and a complimentary beverage).
Who Is Eligible?
American Express states explicitly that this welcome bonus is not available to applicants who have or have had this product in the past. This is a pretty standard blanket policy, and is in line with what we heard about American Express no longer allowing multiple bonuses on the same card product as of May 1, 2014. However, you’re still eligible for the business version even if you have (or have previously had) the personal card, and vice versa.
For more information on the Starwood Preferred Guest program and how to maximize it, check out these posts:
- How to Get the Best Value for Starwood Hotel Redemptions
- The Ultimate Guide to Starwood Preferred Guest Airline Transfer Partners
- Starwood “Enhances” Cash & Points Awards
- Major Starwood Preferred Guest Elite Enhancements
- Spotlight on Starwood Preferred Guest Elite Status and Why I Continue to Qualify for Platinum
- Maximizing Starwood Preferred Guest Airline Transfers
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees