Which Card is Best to Avoid Travel Blackout Dates?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
TPG reader Christina tweeted me to ask about how to avoid blackout dates with travel rewards:
@thepointsguy — “Your thoughts please: I want a card that lets me use points anytime with no blackouts. Chase Sapphire Preferred or Capital One Venture?”
Flexibility is key these days; with airlines and hotels changing the rules, you need to have points that you can use for the travel you want, when you want it. When it comes to airline purchases, both of the cards Christina mentioned can be used to make pretty much any airline purchase.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you’ll earn 2 points per dollar on all travel and dining, and 1 point per dollar elsewhere. Those points can be redeemed for 1.25 cents apiece toward travel. However, you have to book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, and some airlines won’t show up there, such as Southwest and a number of smaller airlines around the world.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns 2 miles per dollar on all purchases, and you can redeem those miles for 1 cent apiece toward travel purchases. Basically, the card earns 2 percent back across the board.
The beauty of Capital One Venture is that you can actually wipe away regular charges that you’ve already made, so you don’t need to book through any specific portal. You can use your card on a random little airline in the Maldives and then wipe that charge off your statement with miles, whereas you may not have been able to book that flight at all through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
It’s still possible to book most flights with Chase, and technically you could be earning 2.5 percent back if you’re maximizing the travel and dining bonuses on Sapphire Preferred. But I think for flexibility, the Capital One Venture card is pretty hard to beat.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees