This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG reader Christina tweeted me to ask about how to avoid blackout dates with travel rewards:
@thepointsguy — “Your thoughts please: I want a card that lets me use points anytime with no blackouts. Chase Sapphire Preferred or Capital One Venture?”
Flexibility is key these days; with airlines and hotels changing the rules, you need to have points that you can use for the travel you want, when you want it. When it comes to airline purchases, both of the cards Christina mentioned can be used to make pretty much any airline purchase.
With the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, you’ll earn 2 points per dollar on all travel and dining, and 1 point per dollar elsewhere. Those points can be redeemed for 1.25 cents apiece toward travel. However, you have to book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, and some airlines won’t show up there, such as Southwest and a number of smaller airlines around the world.
The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card earns 2 miles per dollar on all purchases, and you can redeem those miles for 1 cent apiece toward travel purchases. Basically, the card earns 2 percent back across the board.
The beauty of Capital One Venture is that you can actually wipe away regular charges that you’ve already made, so you don’t need to book through any specific portal. You can use your card on a random little airline in the Maldives and then wipe that charge off your statement with miles, whereas you may not have been able to book that flight at all through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
It’s still possible to book most flights with Chase, and technically you could be earning 2.5 percent back if you’re maximizing the travel and dining bonuses on Sapphire Preferred. But I think for flexibility, the Capital One Venture card is pretty hard to beat.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees