Last Chance: Get a 20% Bonus When You Transfer SPG Points to American AAdvantage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) is one of TPG’s favorite programs to rack up points in, and Starpoints also rank as the most valuable award currency in his monthly valuations. In addition to the great redemption rates at hotel properties and the SPG Moments program, you can transfer to a whopping 34 airline partners, further enhancing the value of an SPG point. Notably, it’s the only transferrable points currency that offers the ability to transfer to American Airlines. On July 1, 2015, AA and SPG began offering a limited-time 20% transfer bonus.
Generally, SPG points transfer at a 1:1 ratio to most programs, and if you transfer 20,000 in one go, you get 25,000 airline miles. Now, American Airlines is offering an additional 20% bonus that stacks on top of the extra 5,000 miles you get for transferring 20,000 points. With the new bonus, 20,000 SPG points become 30,000 AAdvantage miles, effectively a fantastic 1:1.5 transfer ratio.
This promotion ends August 31, 2015, so you only have a few days left to take advantage. You only need to initiate your transfer by August 31, 2015, at 11:59pm CT, so despite the fact that transfers generally take a few days, you’ll still get the bonus.
TPG currently values SPG points at 2.4 cents apiece and AAdvantage miles at 1.7 cents apiece — so by transferring 20,000 points, you get 2.55 cents of value out of each SPG point. You do lose flexibility, though, as transfers are not reversible, so be sure to consider your future redemption plans before pulling the trigger.
Additionally, American Express just started offering an elevated welcome bonus for the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express with a bonus of 25,000 points after spending $5,000 within three months of account opening. Although you won’t be able to apply for and get the bonus in time to take advantage of this promotion, SPG points are great to have, and with luck, this offer will come around again in the future.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.