This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
La Compagnie is a French startup airline that flies all-business-class flights between Newark and Charles de Gaulle in Paris and Luton Airport in London. The airline launched last summer with 4-5 weekly flights with its first aircraft, and took delivery of a second bird back in December. The airline has run cheap deals before, and now they’re back. You can book round-trip flights on both routes for $2,500 for two passengers, or for $1,500 if you’re traveling by yourself.
While some might scoff at the idea of taking a non-major airline and earning La Compagnie miles instead of rewards with your preferred airline, it’s still a cheap way to get to Europe without being crammed in coach. (Click here to read TPG’s review.) And, last time around the larger carriers matched La Compagnie’s low fares, leading to some truly excellent deals. Hopefully the same will happen this time!
Airline(s): La Compagnie
Route(s): EWR to CDG
Booking Link: Orbitz
Your flights must be purchased by September 30 for travel between now and December 15, 2015. Though these fares are promotional, it looks like they are available pretty much every day the airline will be flying this route. As you can see from the price breakdown, the fare itself is $1,096 and the taxes/surcharges amount to $1,404.
By comparison, the cheapest nonstop economy tickets for two people between New York and London are $2,198 from other carriers — so this is definitely a great deal!
La Compagnie flies 757-200s with 74 seats in 19 rows with four across in a 2 x 2 configuration. Seats have 62 inches of pitch and are 26 inches wide. They also have a reading lamp, personal compartments and a power outlet. The airline touts the seats as reclining 180 degrees, but these seats are actually angled-flat, and an older model than what you’ll find on most other airlines flying across the Atlantic. Still, it’s better than being crammed in coach for the trip.
Travelers are given pillows, duvets and a Caudalie travel amenity kit. Entertainment comes in the form of handheld Samsung Galaxy Pro tablets, and Wi-Fi is available for free on the flight. Menus are created by chef Christophe Langree.
At Newark, the airline has an “Art & Lounge” space in Terminal B near the check-in counters with snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, red and white wine and premium beer.
While reviews of La Compagnie have been mixed, you can’t deny the appeal of these cheap fares for travel to London or Paris business class in (albeit a very outdated) business class. And if you have reason to fly to Europe between now and the end of 2015, this is a great option to have in your back pocket. If the other carriers decide to match this fare, we’ll be sure to let you know.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards