Wing Flap Confirmed to be from Malaysia Flight 370
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over a year ago, Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappeared after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on March 8, 2014, headed for Beijing with 239 people aboard.
There’s been no sign of the plane since then, until last week, when a piece of a wing flap was found on Reunion Island, off the coast of Madagascar. Since Reunion Island is a French territory, the part was taken to the DGA TA aeronautical testing site near Toulouse, southern France, on Saturday.
Today, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed in a press conference that the component had indeed come from the missing Boeing 777. It’s the first piece of physical evidence recovered from the Malaysian jetliner since it disappeared nearly 17 months ago.
The prime minister’s announcement was released shortly before the news conference began, by wire and Facebook.
See our timeline below for more on MH370:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.