Creating a Travel Themed Nursery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Most traveling families that I know love to explore the world, but they also like the safety, comfort, and routine of returning to their home…at least until that itch to again pack up the bags and head out strikes again. I know that I love both exploration and time at home, and so it makes sense that we try to incorporate some of the travel that we love into our house. I gave several examples of how we do this in my post about “How to Buy Good Souvenirs from Around the World”.
I don’t particularly like clutter or too many knick knacks (though that is a very subjective threshold), nor do I take my travel decor to the extreme of having old airplane seats, former airport carpet, etc. in my house. Though I do know some who do pretty cool things with that type of decoration!
However, while I may not take things to the ultimate extreme in travel themed home decor, I do want to encourage myself and my family to remember our prior adventures through select items and souvenirs in our home, as well as encourage my girls to look forward to future adventures and build travel dreams of their own. Given all that, it is probably no surprise that my second daughter has a travel themed nursery.
Since I know some of you like to do similar things with your little one’s rooms, I thought I would share the items we found and used to make her nursery travel themed without (hopefully) being too over the top.
One of my favorite parts of the nursery is actually the art on the wall behind her crib. You can get the world map made to order in various sizes and pretty much any color(s) you want from a company called Right Grain. I shopped their items on Etsy, but they also have a website here.
My other favorite item in her nursery is the Illuminated World Lamp Globe from Land of Nod that doubles as the night light we use during middle of the night feedings, diaper changes, etc. It looks really good at night, but isn’t so bright as to interfere with sleep and make things too bright at 3AM. As she gets older it will also serve as a pretty great globe for looking at world geography!
Another Etsy find was a personalized map themed print that not only has Baby S’s name, but also the alphabet made of map images. This was from Etsy seller Cheeky Albi.
A few other little travel themed decorations in her room include a hanging plane from Pottery Barn Kids (not sure if they still make this since it was Little C’s from 5 years ago) and other little planes we picked up in places from Alaska to Jamaica.
As Baby S starts going on her own adventures I’m sure what is in her room will grow along with her. For now though I think she has a good travel themed nursery that works for her (and our) needs now, and should also provide a good backdrop for her to grow for years to come.
Do you have any travel themed rooms in your house? Any favorite items you found for you or your kids’ rooms?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.