Turkish Airlines to Offer Lounge Access to Select Economy Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Traditionally a privilege awarded to premium-cabin passengers and elite frequent flyers, lounge access is seen as a luxury to escape the hustle and bustle of the airport terminal. Turkish Airlines’ decision represents a departure from the international standard on lounge access. It demonstrates a commitment to acquiring and keeping international connecting passengers, as economy customers originating or terminating in Istanbul will not receive the same lounge access.
It’s worth noting that when an international connection is over 10 hours long (and there aren’t shorter connections available), the airline also offers a complimentary transit hotel, even for economy passengers. Turkish Airlines currently has the world’s most extensive international route network in terms of countries served — it currently serves 276 destinations in 110 countries.
The airline isn’t the first to offer lounge access to economy passengers however — Bangkok Airways offers access to its Boutique Lounges to all passengers, regardless of class or origination point.
According to Runway Girl Network’s interview with Turkish Airlines CEO Temel Kotil, it costs about $20 to provide lounge access to a passenger — a small expense compared to the total airfare cost, he says. Kotil believes that this will provide a point of differentiation for passengers who are more discerning on service, and help drive additional traffic toward its growth goals.
The new lounge will offer free food and drinks, as Kotil does not see the lounge as a driver for ancillary fees, but rather as a beacon of Turkish service.
Further details remain to be seen, as Turkish Airlines has yet to deliver an official announcement. It’s certainly exciting to see an airline focus on its economy passengers, and work toward delivering a better travel experience.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.