This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a T-Mobile Simple Choice customer, you are now free to roam about the continent. Beginning July 15, T-Mobile is extending coverage and calling across the US, Mexico and Canada for all Simple Choice customers at no extra charge, according to the latest “Un-carrier Amped” announcement from the company.
This new move, called Mobile Without Borders, includes unlimited calling to Mexico and Canada from the US for free, including landlines and cell phones. Customers also have 4G LTE data and unlimited calling and texting when in Mexico and Canada, just like in the US.
This is in addition to T-Mobile offering unlimited international data (and text messages) in over 120 countries, as reviewed by TPG Editor Zach Honig this past May. At the time, Zach noted that as far as the carriers (and data roaming) are concerned, Canada might as well be Cambodia. Looks like it’s time to head back up north, Zach!
Current Simple Choice customers need to opt-in online, by phone or in-store by switching to the latest plans (at no charge). Business customers can also add coverage and calling across North America to their Simple Choice plan at no extra cost for the first 10 lines, and $1 per month per line beyond that.
According to T-Mobile, and unusual for a company to say outright, customers have been getting raked over the coals with roaming fees:
Over 70% of international trips taken by small and mid-sized business travelers were to Mexico & Canada. And, the same year, the carriers raked in nearly $10 billion in global roaming charges at over 90% margins. Meaning the carriers are lining their pockets with billions of dollars in inflated roaming fees—for coverage the Un-carrier now includes at no extra cost.
The company is pretty excited about Mobile Without Borders, if John Legere, president and CEO, is any indication:
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.