Bonus AA Miles, Triple HHonors Points, New Airline Service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a roundup of the week’s points, miles and travel industry news you may have missed:
Earn Double AAdvantage Miles with Fairmont
This summer, you can earn double AAdvantage miles when you book one of the Fairmont F-scapes North American vacation packages for stays now through September 20, 2015. Here’s a list of all the participating properties and black-out dates for the promotion. Be sure to provide your AAdvantage account number at check-in, and wait four to six weeks for miles to be credited to your account.
Earn Triple HHonors Points on Your Next Stay
Hilton HHonors members can earn triple HHonors Points after booking a stay of two nights or more at any of the 12 brands, for travel now through January 30, 2016. To receive this promotion, you must book your stay by January 30, 2016.
Southwest Adds New Year-Round Routes
Southwest Airlines has rolled out 15 new nonstop routes across the US, which can now be booked through the middle of March, 2016. Here’s a list of the new daily round-trip flights:
- Burbank (BUR) – San Francisco (SFO): Three flights per day
- Sacramento (SMF) – Boise (BOI): One flight per day
- Indianapolis (IND) – Chicago Midway (MDW): Two flights per day
- Little Rock (LIT) – St. Louis (STL): Two flights per day (returning after being discontinued in 2013)
- Phoenix (PHX) – Fort Lauderdale (FLL): One flight per day
- Grand Rapids (GRR) – Tampa (TPA): One flight per day
- Fort Myers (RSW) – Nashville (BNA): One flight per day
- Fort Myers (RSW) – Buffalo (BUF): Saturdays only
- Fort Myers (RSW) – Dallas Love Field (DAL): Saturdays only
- Fort Myers (RSW) – Providence (PVD): Saturdays only
- Fort Myers (RSW) – Washington Reagan National (DCA): Saturdays only
- Omaha (OMA) – Orlando (MCO): Saturdays only
- Detroit (DTW) – Orlando (MCO): Saturdays only
- Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP) – Orlando (MCO): Saturdays only
- Grand Rapids (GRR) – Fort Myers (RSW): One flight per day
Bahamas Resort Baha Mar Files for Bankruptcy Protection
After multiple delays, the $3.5 billion Bahamas resort Baha Mar — which was last scheduled to open in March of 2016 — has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Located near Nassau, the resort plans to have a Jack Nicklaus golf course, over 40 restaurants and 4 hotels, including a Grand Hyatt, SLS Lux and Rosewood. The resort’s new opening date hasn’t been released yet.
Delta Expands JFK and LAX/SFO Flights
Starting in November, Delta is upping its service between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) from nine to ten daily flights. Four of the flights will be offered on Boeing 767 widebody aircraft with direct aisle access for Delta One passengers, and the other six will be on the newly refurbished Boeing 757 aircraft. Three of Delta’s eight daily flights from JFK to San Francisco (SFO) will also be upgraded to Boeing 767 widebody aircraft, meaning Delta will offer the most seats in the sky on flights between JFK and LAX/SFO, and will be the only airline to use widebody planes on both routes.
Changes to Virgin America Express Seats
A few things have changed this week when it comes to booking Virgin America Express seats. The service has been expanded on Airbus A320 and A319 aircraft with the addition of an extra row. If you’re an Elevate Gold or Silver member, you can snag an Express seat in the front of the main cabin for free when booking. Virgin America has also altered pricing, so Express seats will no longer be available at a fixed cost. Instead, the amount will depend on the length of the flight. One thing staying the same is that Express seats will be offered for free within 24 hours of departure.
Earn 20 Percent More AAdvantage Miles When Converting Starpoints
From now through August 7, 2015, you can earn a 20-percent bonus on AAdvantage miles when you convert your Starpoints. As always, you’ll receive 5,000 bonus miles when you transfer 20,000 Starpoints, so you’ll get a total of 30,000 miles with the 20% bonus. Here’s how it works:
- Convert 20,000 Starpoints to 20,000 AAdvantage miles
- Receive a Standard SPG bonus of 5,000 miles
- AAdvantage adds a 20-percent mileage bonus of 5,000 AAdvantage miles
Uber Partners with Mothers Against Drunk Driving for July Fourth Weekend
Uber is partnering with Mothers Against Drunk Driving and encouraging riders to “Focus on the Fireworks” with its July Fourth campaign to help save lives and prevent drunk drivers on the road during the holiday weekend. From now through July 5, Uber will match donations made here for any amount up to $25,000.
American Airlines 787 Coming to LAX
Starting this fall, American Airlines will begin service out of LAX on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The initial flight will be on October 5 between LAX and Shanghai, with flights planned between LAX and São Paulo on November 5. American already flies the 787 out of Dallas/Fort Worth with service to Chicago, Beijing, Buenos Aires and Shanghai. The 787 is already scheduled for service between Chicago and Tokyo starting on August 18.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees