This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
With holiday celebrations and summer activities, this past weekend was a busy one. Here’s a roundup of some of our favorite stories that you might’ve missed from the past few days:
1. What Are Points & Miles Worth? July Monthly Valuations: The Points Guy gives his picks for the best value in points and miles in the latest installment of our monthly valuation series. Chase Ultimate Rewards (earn 50,000 bonus points with the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card) and Starpoints are still two of our favorite currencies, while Barclaycard Arrival Miles have fallen a bit out of favor following the program changes last week.
2. Should You Get the Citi AA Executive Card with the 75,000-Mile Bonus? The new Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite’s new 75,000 sign-up bonus is incredibly lucrative, and because of that, might only be available for a short time. Considering AAdvantage’s relatively high valuation, this card definitely gets a thumbs-up.
3. 6 All-American Theme Parks For a Fun Summer Vacation: The full heat of the summer is finally upon us, and what better place to spend a summer day than a theme park? TPG Contributor Joel Ward gives us his picks for six great theme parks to visit this summer, along with tips for getting there with points and miles.
4. 7 Low-Level IHG Properties that Make for Awesome Awards: Top-level accommodations aren’t always the best value for points travel. Check out these seven low-level IHG properties for your next trip.
5. Top 10 Travel Rewards Cards for Summer Travel: Determining the best card for any given purchase can be quite the challenge. TPG Senior Points & Miles Correspondent Jason Steele breaks down his favorite cards for travel purchases this summer.
6. Barclaycard Confirms Arrival and Arrival Plus Changes: Barclaycard announced last week that it would be making changes to its Arrival and Arrival Plus products in the near future. Check out what to expect as Barclaycard begins to roll out its updates later this year.
7. Top 10 Travel Rewards Credit Card Offers for July 2015: Take advantage of some of the best sign-up bonuses available right now. Last week, Citi changed its bonus to 75,000 miles for the AAdvantage Executive Elite Mastercard, which includes Admirals Club access as well as some other perks for frequent travelers.
8. Baseball Binge — 30 Teams in 20 Days on Points and Miles: Theme parks aren’t the only place to spend a beautiful summer day. Read our summer Major League Baseball itinerary to see 30 different teams and 20 stadiums on points and miles this summer.
9. Insider Series: What Do Air Traffic Controllers Actually Do?: Air traffic controllers are the invisible guides making sure we get to our destination quickly and safely, but how they accomplish that goal remains a mystery to many passengers. Learn about this hidden world in the latest installment of our insider series, written by an actual air traffic controller.
10. Maximizing Uber for Both Occasional and Frequent Riders: Fares for Uber-addicts can add up quick. TPG Contributor Richard Kerr offers some advice on how to save money and earn points for all of those rides around town.
11. 10 Photos: Fourth of July on LA’s South Bay Beaches: Locals and tourists flock to the beaches of Los Angeles to celebrate Independence Day each year. See these SoCal traditions in action with our latest 10 Photos post.
12. What Are Your Favorite Noise-Canceling Headphones?: Controlling your airplane environment is important — especially on long-haul flights where you can be at the mercy of a screaming baby or drunken businessman. In this Sunday Reader Question, The Points Guy gives his input on the best headphones for your next flight.
13. What’s It Like to Spend a Week at the Admirals Club?: Being stuck at the airport can be painful on some days, but having access to a lounge like the Admirals Club can make travel a little bit more enjoyable. TPG Intern Kevin Song volunteered to spend the week touring Admirals Clubs on the East Coast to compare accommodations across airports.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards