How to Use Your Spirit Airlines Miles for Someone Else
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I prefer fancy pants lie-flat airplane seats and a little bit of pampering from time to time during my travels just like anyone, but I’m by no means “addicted” to only traveling that way, so when the opportunity arises to earn or use Spirit Airlines miles, I’ll take it. Even if I can’t use the miles myself, I may be able to help someone else take a vacation they otherwise might not afford using the miles (before they expire!). In fact, I did just that with some Spirit miles I got for free via a promotion in Houston a couple of years ago. I couldn’t use them before they expired, so a few friends got to go to Vegas using our miles!
I wrote about how I used them for someone else here, but since that time I keep getting questions or comments from readers who find the old posts saying that the system no longer lets you use your Spirit miles for someone else.
Today I did a test and I can confirm that it is still possible to use your Spirit miles for someone else to travel, so here are step by step instructions on how to use your Spirit Airlines miles for someone else. I do want to add a caveat that according to Chris in the comments section, this does not work if you have joined the $9 Fare Club, so think long and hard about joining the Fare Club if you want to use your points for someone else to travel. I am not a member of the Fare Club, so can’t test this for myself.
1. Log in to the Free Spirit account that has the miles you want to use and search for the award flights you want by clicking the box that says “Purchase Flights with Free Spirit Miles”.
2. Select the award flights you want and then you will be taken to the Customer Information Page where you will delete the info for the Free Spirit Account holder and enter the information for the traveler.
Note that this must include changing the Free Spirit frequent flyer number to the traveler’s number even though the miles will come out of the account of the person you are logged in under. If you do not change the frequent flyer number to the traveler’s number you will get this error screen below.
If you are sharing your miles with someone else who may not be familiar with Spirit, make sure to warn the recipients about some of Spirit’s fees and how to avoid most of them – if you aren’t sure, here is a post with some tips.
3. Complete the booking. All that’s left to do is to complete the booking and pay the taxes/fees along with the Free Spirit Miles. Make sure you then get the confirmation number and relevant info so you can check into your flight when the time comes without having to pay $10 to do so at the airport. The process is actually really simple, but I think some folks get held up by not entering their own Free Spirit number on the Customer Information page, so hopefully these instructions will help.Have you used your Spirit miles to help someone else travel for less?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees