Deal Alert: Fly American to Asia from $597
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend that you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to travel.
The cheap fares to Asia just keep coming, with more discounted fares to Hong Kong (HKG), Seoul (ICN) and Shanghai (PVG) from several gateway cities later this fall.
The best fares we found start at $597 from Newark (EWR) and Houston (IAH) to Hong Kong (HKG). There are also good rates to Hong Kong, Seoul and Shanghai from Cleveland (CLE), Houston (IAH) and Newark (EWR) starting around $630 depending on the route and time.
The flights appear to be available until early December (again, depending on the route — some offers end earlier than others). There also seem to be a bunch of other fares that are a bit more expensive starting around $700 from other locations to Asia.
Here are some of the fares we found:
Newark (EWR) – Hong Kong (HKG) for $597 on American (earns 18,990 EQMs):
Houston (IAH) – Hong Kong (HKG) for $597 on American (earns 16,694 EQMs):
Newark (EWR) – Shanghai (PVG) for $632 on American (earns 15,552):
Cleveland (CLE) – Shanghai (PVG) for $632 on American (earns 15,743 EQMs):
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more on Hong Kong, check out our Destination of the Week post.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
H/T: The Flight Deal
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.