This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Freedom, Discover it® Cash Back
Today, we’re entering the third quarter of 2015, which means new 5% quarterly rotating categories for the Chase Freedom and Discover It cards.
As a reminder, each of these cards offers 5x points or 5% cash back per $1 on up to $1,500 worth of purchases at specific merchants or categories of merchants. These bonus merchant categories change every quarter (so four times per year). As of today, July 1, the third quarter of the year has commenced, and with it comes new earning possibilities for both of these cards.
Chase Freedom: Gas Stations and Kohl’s
Once you have activated your card, from July 1 to September 30, 2015 you’ll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases at gas stations and Kohl’s stores.
And if you don’t already have the card, now’s as good a time to sign up — Chase Freedom is currently offering an sign-up bonus of 10,000 points after you spend $500 in the first three months or you can transfer them to Ultimate Rewards if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus. From there, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to travel partners like Southwest, Hyatt and United.
If you’re already a cardholder, you can register here to activate your spending bonus each quarter. The activation deadline is September 14, 2015. If you register by then, Chase will retroactively credit all eligible purchases with the 5x earning, but it’s better to just activate now so you do not forget and possibly miss out on this earning potential.
Discover It: Home Improvement Stores, Department Stores, & Amazon.com
Like the Freedom, the Discover It offers 5% cash back in quarterly rotating categories, which you can find here (you can activate your card to earn the bonus points via that link as well).
Activate 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Home Improvement Stores, Department Stores and at Amazon.com from now through September 30, 2015.
The Discover It is not currently offering a sign-up bonus, but you earn 5% back on these categories and 1% back on everyday purchases, and it has other great features such as no annual fee, no over-limit fees and no foreign transaction fees. Discover points are straight-up cash-back currency which you can redeem in the following ways:
- Direct deposit straight into your bank account
- Statement credit to your Discover card account
- Pay with cash back bonus to shop with Discover partners like Amazon.com and iTunes.
For more information, see these posts:
- Ways to Maximize Each Ultimate Rewards Partner
- Quarterly 5% Bonus Categories: Chase Freedom & Discover It
- Chase Freedom Ends 10% Annual Bonus & Other Changes
- How to Get 1.34 Cents Per Point for Travel with Chase Freedom
- Maximizing Credit Card Bonus Categories to Earn More Points
- Top Credit Card Offers with No Annual Fee
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee