This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Barclaycard stopped taking new applications for the Arrival and Arrival Plus cards earlier this week, in advance of a product refresh in mid-July. Amid the speculation about potential changes to benefits for cardholders, Barclaycard had remained silent about updates until this afternoon.
Barclaycard will lower the redemption bonus for both the Arrival and Arrival Plus cards from 10% to 5% starting in November for existing cardholders. As part of this change, Barclaycard will be applying the redemption bonus to additional categories, such as cash back, gift cards and merchandise, in addition to travel.
The changes to these rates effectively reduces the 2.22% return to 2.11% on cash back — making the card a tougher sell with so many other competitive products, especially with an annual fee.
For Arrival Plus cardholders, the minimum threshold to redeem for travel is being raised from 5,000 to 10,000 miles. The cash minimum redemption is also being raised from 2,500 Arrival miles to 5,000.
Barclaycard is also completely eliminating the tourist attraction category in an effort to eliminate confusion surrounding the definition of a tourist attraction, and what expenses actually apply. The TripIt subscription formerly included with the card will also be cut with this new refresh.
These changes will go into effect in November for cardholders who got the card before Sept. 30, 2014, and in August 2016 for cardholders who got the card on or after Oct. 1, 2014.
Both cards will still retain some of its other benefits, including 2x earned on all travel purchases, no miles expiration, redemption bonus with travel statement credits, no foreign transaction fees and other fringe benefits not directly related to travel.
The relaunched card will be available to new cardholders in mid-July (cardholders will now be able to get EMV chips for more security).
For more information about the Barclaycard Arrival and Arrival Plus:
New Barclaycard Arrival Plus With Chip + PIN Capability
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.