Barclaycard Confirms Arrival and Arrival Plus Changes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Barclaycard stopped taking new applications for the Arrival and Arrival Plus cards earlier this week, in advance of a product refresh in mid-July. Amid the speculation about potential changes to benefits for cardholders, Barclaycard had remained silent about updates until this afternoon.
Barclaycard will lower the redemption bonus for both the Arrival and Arrival Plus cards from 10% to 5% starting in November for existing cardholders. As part of this change, Barclaycard will be applying the redemption bonus to additional categories, such as cash back, gift cards and merchandise, in addition to travel.
The changes to these rates effectively reduces the 2.22% return to 2.11% on cash back — making the card a tougher sell with so many other competitive products, especially with an annual fee.
For Arrival Plus cardholders, the minimum threshold to redeem for travel is being raised from 5,000 to 10,000 miles. The cash minimum redemption is also being raised from 2,500 Arrival miles to 5,000.
Barclaycard is also completely eliminating the tourist attraction category in an effort to eliminate confusion surrounding the definition of a tourist attraction, and what expenses actually apply. The TripIt subscription formerly included with the card will also be cut with this new refresh.
These changes will go into effect in November for cardholders who got the card before Sept. 30, 2014, and in August 2016 for cardholders who got the card on or after Oct. 1, 2014.
Both cards will still retain some of its other benefits, including 2x earned on all travel purchases, no miles expiration, redemption bonus with travel statement credits, no foreign transaction fees and other fringe benefits not directly related to travel.
The relaunched card will be available to new cardholders in mid-July (cardholders will now be able to get EMV chips for more security).
For more information about the Barclaycard Arrival and Arrival Plus:
New Barclaycard Arrival Plus With Chip + PIN Capability
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees