This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan is one of the best frequent flyer programs out there, thanks to great award routing rules that allow a stopover even on a one-way ticket, and generally favorable award charts. Most of all, while Alaska Airlines is not part of any alliance, it does have a few great partners that you can use to redeem miles, such as American, Delta, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, KLM, Qantas and Korean Air.
Now, there will be another fantastic option to get to Asia with Alaska Mileage Plan miles: Skytrax five-star rated Hainan Airlines. Alaska Airlines and Hainan Airlines announced a partnership today that will allow passengers to earn and redeem miles on both carriers. One of just seven five-star airlines in the world, Hainan Airlines also isn’t a member of any of the major alliances, so award flights aren’t easy to get.
Hainan currently operates US routes to Boston, Chicago, San Jose and Seattle. In particular, this offers great opportunities to connect to or from Alaska flights from Seattle and San Jose, where the airline has a large presence.
Beginning immediately, Alaska flyers will be able to earn both redeemable and elite-qualifying miles on Hainan flights, and the two plan to allow cross-award redemptions later this year. Additionally, the two airlines are looking to recognize and extend elite reciprocal benefits to members by fall of this year.
Unfortunately, Alaska’s award redemption chart for Hainan flights hasn’t been released yet, but you can check award availability on ExpertFlyer in case Alaska’s website doesn’t show it.
Alaska Mileage Plan continues to offer a great variety of redemptions, and it never hurts to have one more option for crossing the Pacific — and on a five-star airline no less!
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.