This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United and its Star Alliance partners announced earlier this month that the price for award travel within Japan would be lowered. Travelers in Japan will now be able to snag one-way flights for 5,000 or 8,000 miles depending on the distance flown (flights of less than 800 miles will be available at the lower rate). That’s a substantial decrease from the previous rate of 10,000 miles for all flights.
Additionally, travelers with existing itineraries can take advantage of the lower rate, but may incur a change fee according to United’s existing policies.
Here are some examples:
1. Tokyo-Haneda (HND) to Osaka (KIX) on All Nippon Airways (ANA) for 5,000 miles
2. Tokyo-Haneda (HND) to Okinawa (OKA) on All Nippon Airways (ANA) for 8,000 miles
If you’re traveling to Japan, these reduced awards could help you move around the country at a discount. For more ideas about how to get to Japan and what to do once you’re there, check out these posts:
- Travel Rewards Credit Card Combinations to Explore East Asia
- Best Mileage Transfer Partners for Awards to Japan
- 10 Reasons to Love Tokyo
The Points Guy Assessment:
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great pick for the beginner and the frequent traveler. The CSP has superb travel benefits, double points on certain purchases, and a 50,000 point sign up bonus. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year so this puts it as one of the less expensive cards, while still allowing you to earn one of the most valuable point currencies.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards