This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United and its Star Alliance partners announced earlier this month that the price for award travel within Japan would be lowered. Travelers in Japan will now be able to snag one-way flights for 5,000 or 8,000 miles depending on the distance flown (flights of less than 800 miles will be available at the lower rate). That’s a substantial decrease from the previous rate of 10,000 miles for all flights.
Additionally, travelers with existing itineraries can take advantage of the lower rate, but may incur a change fee according to United’s existing policies.
Here are some examples:
1. Tokyo-Haneda (HND) to Osaka (KIX) on All Nippon Airways (ANA) for 5,000 miles
2. Tokyo-Haneda (HND) to Okinawa (OKA) on All Nippon Airways (ANA) for 8,000 miles
If you’re traveling to Japan, these reduced awards could help you move around the country at a discount. For more ideas about how to get to Japan and what to do once you’re there, check out these posts:
- Travel Rewards Credit Card Combinations to Explore East Asia
- Best Mileage Transfer Partners for Awards to Japan
- 10 Reasons to Love Tokyo
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards