This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Chase Freedom
Although you can’t start earning for a few more weeks, you can activate Chase’s Q3 5% Cash Back promotion beginning today. Once your card is activated, from July 1 to September 30, 2015 you’ll earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases at gas stations and Kohl’s stores.
As a reminder, you can still receive 5% cash back at restaurants; Bed, Bath & Beyond; H&M and Overstock.com until the end of June, assuming you’ve already activated Chase’s Q2 bonus.
And of course, if don’t already have the card, now’s as good a time as any to sign up — Chase Freedom is currently offering an sign-up bonus of 10,000 points after you spend $500 in the first three months. You can redeem points for cash back (10,000 points = $100), or you can transfer them to Ultimate Rewards if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus. From there, you can transfer Ultimate Rewards points to travel partners like Southwest, Hyatt and United.
If you’re already a cardholder, you can register here to activate your spending bonus each quarter. If you activate your card for these categories prior to each quarterly deadline, Chase will retroactively credit you with bonus points on your category spending from earlier in the quarter, though there’s really no reason not to activate 5% cash back as soon as the registration period opens.
On your statement, the bonus earned prior to your activation date will be listed separately and itemized by category. If you have multiple Chase Freedom accounts, be sure to activate them all.
For my review of the Chase Freedom card, watch this video
For more info on the Chase Freedom card, check out these posts:
- Why Chase Freedom Isn’t Just Another Cash Back Card
- Ways to Maximize Each Ultimate Rewards Partner
- Quarterly 5% Bonus Categories: Chase Freedom & Discover It
- Chase Freedom Ends 10% Annual Bonus & Other Changes
- How to Get 1.34 Cents Per Point for Travel with Chase Freedom
- Maximizing Credit Card Bonus Categories to Earn More Points
- Top Credit Card Offers with No Annual Fee
It's a stellar cash back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.74-25.49%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee