Chase Freedom 20,000-Point Sign-Up Bonus Returns
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The Chase Freedom card (No longer open to new applicants) normally offers a sign-up bonus of 10,000 points when you spend $500 within three months of account opening. However, Chase has just launched a new, higher sign-up bonus of 20,000 points when you spend $500 within the first three months. You can earn an additional $25 when you add an authorized user and make a purchase.
If you just have the Freedom card, those 20,000 points are worth $200 in cash back, so you’re getting a 40% return on that first $500 of spending. However, if you also have one of the premium Ultimate Rewards cards (like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Ink Plus Business Card), you can then combine points and transfer them to any of the program’s 11 travel partners as well.
In addition to earning 1 point per $1 on everyday purchases, the other feature that sets this card apart is the ability to earn 5x points on up to $1,500 of purchases per quarter with certain merchants.
The calendar for 2015 is as follows:
- January 1 – March 31: Grocery stores, movie theaters and Starbucks
- April 1 – June 30: Restaurants, Bed Bath & Beyond, H&M and Overstock.com
- July 1 – September 30: Gas stations and more
- October 1 – December 31: Amazon.com and more
As a reminder, if you’re already a cardholder, you can register here to activate your spending bonus each quarter. If you maximize the 5x bonus each quarter, you can bank 30,000 valuable Ultimate Rewards points per year on $6,000 in spending. I value Ultimate Rewards points at about 2.1 cents apiece, so those 30,000 points are worth $630 – better than a 10% return on your spending.
On its own the Chase Freedom is one of the best cash-back cards on the market, but by maximizing the bonus categories and combining it with one of Chase’s premium Ultimate Rewards cards, it becomes even more of an asset.
For my review of the Chase Freedom card, watch this video
For more info on the Chase Freedom card, check out these posts:
- Why Chase Freedom Isn’t Just Another Cash Back Card
- Ways to Maximize Each Ultimate Rewards Partner
- Quarterly 5% Bonus Categories: Chase Freedom & Discover It
- Chase Freedom Ends 10% Annual Bonus & Other Changes
- How to Get 1.34 Cents Per Point for Travel with Chase Freedom
- Maximizing Credit Card Bonus Categories to Earn More Points
- Top Credit Card Offers with No Annual Fee
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees