Chase Freedom 20,000-Point Sign-Up Bonus Returns
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The Chase Freedom card (No longer open to new applicants) normally offers a sign-up bonus of 10,000 points when you spend $500 within three months of account opening. However, Chase has just launched a new, higher sign-up bonus of 20,000 points when you spend $500 within the first three months. You can earn an additional $25 when you add an authorized user and make a purchase.
If you just have the Freedom card, those 20,000 points are worth $200 in cash back, so you’re getting a 40% return on that first $500 of spending. However, if you also have one of the premium Ultimate Rewards cards (like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Ink Plus Business Card), you can then combine points and transfer them to any of the program’s 11 travel partners as well.
In addition to earning 1 point per $1 on everyday purchases, the other feature that sets this card apart is the ability to earn 5x points on up to $1,500 of purchases per quarter with certain merchants.
The calendar for 2015 is as follows:
- January 1 – March 31: Grocery stores, movie theaters and Starbucks
- April 1 – June 30: Restaurants, Bed Bath & Beyond, H&M and Overstock.com
- July 1 – September 30: Gas stations and more
- October 1 – December 31: Amazon.com and more
As a reminder, if you’re already a cardholder, you can register here to activate your spending bonus each quarter. If you maximize the 5x bonus each quarter, you can bank 30,000 valuable Ultimate Rewards points per year on $6,000 in spending. I value Ultimate Rewards points at about 2.1 cents apiece, so those 30,000 points are worth $630 – better than a 10% return on your spending.
On its own the Chase Freedom is one of the best cash-back cards on the market, but by maximizing the bonus categories and combining it with one of Chase’s premium Ultimate Rewards cards, it becomes even more of an asset.
For my review of the Chase Freedom card, watch this video
For more info on the Chase Freedom card, check out these posts:
- Why Chase Freedom Isn’t Just Another Cash Back Card
- Ways to Maximize Each Ultimate Rewards Partner
- Quarterly 5% Bonus Categories: Chase Freedom & Discover It
- Chase Freedom Ends 10% Annual Bonus & Other Changes
- How to Get 1.34 Cents Per Point for Travel with Chase Freedom
- Maximizing Credit Card Bonus Categories to Earn More Points
- Top Credit Card Offers with No Annual Fee
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.