Airbus A350 and A380 Take Flight at the Paris Air Show
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, TPG Editor-in-Chief Zach Honig is reporting live from the Paris Air Show. Today, he’s sharing his experience from the afternoon flying display, where Airbus demoed its A350 and A380 aircraft.
Sure, you can watch them perform on YouTube, but take if from me: Nothing beats seeing the Airbus A350 and A380 take to the skies live at the Paris Air Show. And unlike the low and slow climb you’ll see with passengers on board, the pilots at Le Bourget really push their planes to the limits, demonstrating what’s possible with a light load and a lot of guts.
Following the Dreamliner’s departure on Friday morning, the new A350 was the first airliner to perform each day at the Paris Air Show’s afternoon flying display. This latest Airbus jet launched with Qatar late last year, and it’s a beaut. Just a really nice aircraft, both inside and out. And it’s one of the quietest airliners to date, though you can certainly hear it from the grandstand at the air show.
The Airbus A350 always stayed within view, circling the field a few times at various altitudes and completing some very impressive turns following its shockingly steep takeoff. Click here to see it face off against the Boeing Dreamliner.
The Airbus A380, meanwhile, has been flying for a decade — it flew for the first time in April 2005 and launched passenger service with Singapore a couple years later in 2007. It’s still an incredible aircraft, however, and despite relatively lackluster sales, you can’t beat scoring this plane on a long-haul flight.
You’ll get goosebumps watching the A380 roar back and forth across the runway at just a thousand or so feet above the ground. I’m going to be very bummed out when I board my Boeing 757 for the flight back to New York.
More from the Paris Air Show:
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees