Celebrating 5 Years of The Points Guy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Five years ago today, on June 7, 2010, I started this blog (check out my first post here) in order to share my love for travel, credit cards, points and miles — and by sharing what I know about loyalty, you’ve shown your amazing loyalty to me. I started with one reader back in 2010, but this past week, TPG passed the high-traffic milestone of 1.5 million monthly unique readers, and our whole team can hardly say thank you enough.
A Quick Look At The Numbers
Luckily for me, I installed Google Analytics from the first day, so I’ve had pretty solid tracking numbers of the site of these past five years. In fact, per Google, 24 million unique visitors have come to the site since day 1, which is more than the population of Australia at just 23,841,475! In these five years, we’e had at least 57 million sessions at an average of 2 minutes and 26 seconds apiece, which translates into a cumulative 2,311,666 hours (approximately 264 years!) spent reading up on maximizing miles and points. I can’t even begin to guess how many points/miles have been generated from our blog posts, but I know it’s in the billions — at least.
These have been our top five posts since the day we started:
- Top 5 Credit Cards for Travel Rewards
- US Credit Cards with Smart Chips
- Avoiding ATM Withdrawal Fees When Traveling Abroad
- Top 12 Things You Didn’t Know About Global Entry
- 250 Point Enrollment Bonus for Southwest Rapid Rewards Sign Up
In celebration of TPG’s five successful years, we recently donated $50,000 to become a Silver Sponsor of the Inspiration Gala NYC for amfAR — a charity that I’ve been able to travel around the world with, from São Paulo to Mumbai. The leading HIV/AIDS research foundation, amfAR is committed to finding a cure by 2020, which will bring this global epidemic to an end. To celebrate both our anniversary and this worthy cause, I’ll be hand-picking 10 of our most loyal readers to join us at this event’s star-studded afterparty on June 16th, 2015, to toast to both a good cause and our success.
I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to you all for being part of this exciting five-year journey with me, and ask you to please stay tuned for a month of fun — including a big giveaway this coming Thursday.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees