Kauai, London, NYC, and More for Just 15,000 Points!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here come words I never thought I would say, or type…..
I think Wyndham Rewards currently has the best award chart for certain travelers. I know, I know, I’m waiting for the lightning to come and strike me down any second for writing that on a day other than April 1st, but it’s true, at least for now.
Just 15,000 Points per Night for Kauai, Paris, NYC, and More:
Seriously though, their new award chart charges a flat 15,000 points at “any of the program’s more than 7,500 hotels globally with no blackout dates”. They said that would happen, but until it was live I know many of us were skeptics. Poking around their website this morning, you really can book the 1,300 square foot Wyndham Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach in Kauai for just 15,000 points per night – even in the summer months! And sometimes the villa available is even better than that…
Or, you can book the Wyndham New Yorker in Manhattan for just 15,000 points per night. Prefer Paris? You can book the Ramada Paris Tour Eiffel for 15,000 points per night. Craving some time in Miami? Use just 15,000 points per night at the Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach.
If you want to head to Orlando with the family you can stay at the Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek – even in a family king bunk bed room that has not only a king bed, but also double bunk beds tucked away in an alcove for just….15,000 points per night. In fact, you might be surprised at the room types that are sometimes available for the flat 15,000 points per night rate at various properties.
No doubt there are lots of Wyndham properties that you wouldn’t want to use 15,000 points per night, but most of us don’t collect points to avoid paying $65/night at a roadside Travel Lodge. We collect points so that we can stay in locations or hotels that would otherwise go for hundreds of dollars per night, so I’m not really bothered that the lower end of Wyndham Hotels spectrum isn’t exactly a great value on points since I wouldn’t have used points at those properties anyway.
Stretch Your Points with Cash and Points via “Go Fast” Rates:
If you want to stretch your Wyndham Reward points, you can use just 3,000 points per night with a cash co-pay that seems to vary from $20 something per night to around $100 per night. This can be a pretty solid deal depending on the cash rates available at the property. For example, a random date at the Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort is selling for $139/night + taxes/fees ($111 if you book a non-refundable reservation). You can of course book for 15,000 points per night, or you could book for 3,000 points per night along with a $55 co-pay (+ taxes/fees). This way you are saving 12,000 points per night, but paying less than half of the cash rate that you otherwise would.
These “Go Faster” rates are not always available on every date or at every property, they are worth looking out for if you want to stretch your Wyndham Reward points.
How to Earn Wyndham Reward Points:
To celebrate their new award chart, they are offering a summer promotion that provides 3,000 bonus points after just one qualified stay from May 11th through September 14th (must register by September 7th). Additionally, you earn 10 points per dollar on Wyndham hotel charges, with a minimum of 1,000 points awarded per stay.
If you don’t have very much paid Wyndham Rewards travel, then your best bet is likely the Wyndham Reward Visa Signature Card that is currently awarding 30,000 bonus points with the first purchase plus 15,000 additional bonus points when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days. This means for just $1,000 in spending (and the $69 annual fee) you will have enough points for three award nights at a Wyndham Rewards property! Note this is not an affiliate link, just a card I am now pretty interested in myself.
The card also gives 5x points on Wyndham charges and 2x on everything else. There is also a 15,000 point anniversary bonus (up from the previous 5,500 point bonus). This means for the $69 annual fee each year you get a free night at any Wyndham Rewards property.
Old Award Chart Still Valid for Wyndham Rewards Visa Cardmembers:
For those who have the Wyndham Rewards Visa, you can still book via the old award chart where nights started at just 5,500 points per night through November 3, 2015 by calling 1-866-996-7937. I love that they are giving their cardmembers some grace time with these changes…ahem, Club Carlson.
I’m really impressed with the new Wyndham Rewards system for those who want a nice place to stay, but don’t need super luxurious vacations. I think the simple flat points rate will make a lot of sense for many traveling families, and Wyndham Rewards has properties in many of the destinations that families want to visit. I actually really want to get the Wyndham Rewards Credit Card now for myself as I have my sights set on one of those villas in Kauai…
How does Wyndham Rewards now rank for your family?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.