Fire at Rome FCO – Here’s How to Reroute to Get Home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After an overnight fire damaged much of its international terminal, Fiumicino Airport in Rome has reportedly canceled dozens of flights. The fire ravaged a shopping area in Terminal 3 at Rome’s busiest airport, and was likely caused by a short circuit in an eatery. Luckily, it hasn’t resulted in any fatalities and is now under control.
Its effects on travelers will certainly be wide-ranging, though. In addition to Fiumicino canceling many departures, several flights have been diverted. Airport authorities have reportedly said that normal service will resume by mid-day Thursday (today), but with one less terminal for operating flights, passengers at the airport are unsurprisingly facing huge delays.
If your upcoming travel plans have you flying out of (or into) Fiumicino, we recommend examining your re-routing options ASAP to avoid getting stranded. Read on for detailed tips.
Check for Alternative Flights
Along with other airlines with service out of Fiumicino, Alitalia is offering affected passengers refunds or alternative flight options. Call your airline to see if either option is available to you. To expedite things, it’s best to search for an alternate flight online before calling in — and if your airline can book you on another flight, be sure to request that the change fee and fare difference be waived.
Also note that while Fiumicino is Rome’s largest airport, Ciampino (CIA) also serves the area. It’s definitely worth checking to see if you can reroute through CIA, which serves low-cost airlines, including Ryanair and Wizz Air.
Take the Train
Airports a bit further afield could be options as well; traveling by train from Rome to Florence takes about an hour and a half, and you may find more flight options from the city’s Peretola airport. (Make sure to lock down a new flight before making the journey, though). You could explore flight options in Milan as well, though keep in mind it takes more than four hours to travel from Rome by rail.
Extend Your Stay
If you have the flexibility, consider spending an extra day or two in Rome, giving the airport a bit more time to get operations back to normal. Ask your airline if it can push your flight back to a later departure date, and check out Hotel Tonight to find last-minute discounted rooms. If it’s your first time using the service, you can use promo code BKELLY99 to get a $25 credit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees