Fire at Rome FCO – Here’s How to Reroute to Get Home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After an overnight fire damaged much of its international terminal, Fiumicino Airport in Rome has reportedly canceled dozens of flights. The fire ravaged a shopping area in Terminal 3 at Rome’s busiest airport, and was likely caused by a short circuit in an eatery. Luckily, it hasn’t resulted in any fatalities and is now under control.
Its effects on travelers will certainly be wide-ranging, though. In addition to Fiumicino canceling many departures, several flights have been diverted. Airport authorities have reportedly said that normal service will resume by mid-day Thursday (today), but with one less terminal for operating flights, passengers at the airport are unsurprisingly facing huge delays.
If your upcoming travel plans have you flying out of (or into) Fiumicino, we recommend examining your re-routing options ASAP to avoid getting stranded. Read on for detailed tips.
Check for Alternative Flights
Along with other airlines with service out of Fiumicino, Alitalia is offering affected passengers refunds or alternative flight options. Call your airline to see if either option is available to you. To expedite things, it’s best to search for an alternate flight online before calling in — and if your airline can book you on another flight, be sure to request that the change fee and fare difference be waived.
Also note that while Fiumicino is Rome’s largest airport, Ciampino (CIA) also serves the area. It’s definitely worth checking to see if you can reroute through CIA, which serves low-cost airlines, including Ryanair and Wizz Air.
Take the Train
Airports a bit further afield could be options as well; traveling by train from Rome to Florence takes about an hour and a half, and you may find more flight options from the city’s Peretola airport. (Make sure to lock down a new flight before making the journey, though). You could explore flight options in Milan as well, though keep in mind it takes more than four hours to travel from Rome by rail.
Extend Your Stay
If you have the flexibility, consider spending an extra day or two in Rome, giving the airport a bit more time to get operations back to normal. Ask your airline if it can push your flight back to a later departure date, and check out Hotel Tonight to find last-minute discounted rooms. If it’s your first time using the service, you can use promo code BKELLY99 to get a $25 credit.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.