This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
Starwood has updated its welcome bonus offer for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. You’ll now receive 25,000 bonus Starpoints after spending $3,000 within the first three months of getting this card, with a waived annual fee the first year.
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Per my recent valuations of points and miles, I rate Starpoints at 2.4 cents each, meaning these 25,000 Starpoints are worth about $600. The great thing with Starpoints is that you can transfer to a slew of airline partners, and when you transfer 20,000 Starpoints, you receive a 5,000-point bonus. So if you were to transfer these 25,000 Starpoints to American, you’d actually end up 30,000 AAdvantage miles.
Another great perk with the SPG Amex is the opportunity to earn SPG Gold status after spending $30,000 on the card within a calendar year. SPG Gold benefits include 4pm checkout, enhanced guest rooms and a choice of welcome amenity (options include bonus Starpoints, premium internet access and a complimentary beverage).
If you’re looking to earn SPG Platinum status, this card offers 2 stay and 5 night credits per year as well, which will get you started toward the required 25 stays or 50 nights required for SPG Platinum status.
You can earn even more stay or night credits toward Platinum by adding the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express as well, since you would earn an additional 2 stays and 5 nights with this card. This card’s welcome bonus is 25,000 after spending $5,000 within the first three months, with a waived annual fee the first year.
If you have any questions about the SPG Amex card, feel free to comment below.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees