One Week Left for the 50,000 MileagePlus Explorer Bonus Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Back in April, Chase relaunched the 50,000-mile sign-up bonus offer for its United MileagePlus Explorer card. For a while, the sign-up bonus had been just 30,000 miles, so this was a much better offer with a minimum-spending requirement of just $3,000 in the first three months, and the $95 annual fee waived the first year, plus two one-time passes for the United Club each year. The offer lasts until June 2, so if you’ve been waiting to get in on it, you have just one week left.
As a reminder, here are the terms of the offer:
United MileagePlus Explorer Card
- LIMITED TIME OFFER: Start with 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Check your first bag for free – save up to $100 per roundtrip
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with two one-time-use passes every year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn double miles on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Your miles don’t expire as long as you’re a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
This card carries typical airline credit card perks, like priority boarding (for you and companions traveling on the same reservation), a free first checked bag on United-operated flights (for you and one companion on the same reservation when you use your Explorer card to purchase tickets) and two United Club passes annually. However, there are a lot of other great reasons to get this card, including several in light of the huge changes United made to its MileagePlus program and its Premier elite program last year.
TPG Senior Points & Miles Contributor Nick Ewen outlined 8 less-obvious reasons to get in on this current credit card offer. The short of it is:
- The sign-up bonus is worth two round-trip domestic economy awards among other decent redemptions.
- You earn a 10,000-mile bonus you earn after spending $25,000 in a calendar year.
- Spending $25,000 on any United-branded credit card will exempt you from the revenue requirements for earning (or retaining) elite status (up to Platinum level, but not 1K). This can be especially valuable given that United has raised these levels for 2015.
- United Premier members who also hold the Explorer Card have access to more upgrades on award tickets. They are prioritized below paid tickets at the Premier level, but above travelers at lower Premier levels.
- Chase has its own program for booking stays at high-end properties around the world. Called the Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection, it offers cardmembers benefits such as complimentary breakfast, room upgrades and unique welcome amenities.
In my most recent monthly valuations, I list United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so I value the sign-up bonus at $750. If you check a bag on just four one-way United flights each year, the free checked bag benefit will save you $100, and I value the two club passes at about $25 each. All told, I think you’ll reasonably get at least $900 in value from this card in the first year, if not more. Readers have reported that when booking a ticket through United.com, you may be able to get a slightly better offer that includes a $50 statement credit.
Check out these posts for more details on the Explorer card and the MileagePlus program in general:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.