One Week Left for the 50,000 MileagePlus Explorer Bonus Offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
Back in April, Chase relaunched the 50,000-mile sign-up bonus offer for its United MileagePlus Explorer card. For a while, the sign-up bonus had been just 30,000 miles, so this was a much better offer with a minimum-spending requirement of just $3,000 in the first three months, and the $95 annual fee waived the first year, plus two one-time passes for the United Club each year. The offer lasts until June 2, so if you’ve been waiting to get in on it, you have just one week left.
As a reminder, here are the terms of the offer:
United MileagePlus Explorer Card
- LIMITED TIME OFFER: Start with 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Check your first bag for free – save up to $100 per roundtrip
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with two one-time-use passes every year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn double miles on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 on all other purchases
- Your miles don’t expire as long as you’re a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
This card carries typical airline credit card perks, like priority boarding (for you and companions traveling on the same reservation), a free first checked bag on United-operated flights (for you and one companion on the same reservation when you use your Explorer card to purchase tickets) and two United Club passes annually. However, there are a lot of other great reasons to get this card, including several in light of the huge changes United made to its MileagePlus program and its Premier elite program last year.
TPG Senior Points & Miles Contributor Nick Ewen outlined 8 less-obvious reasons to get in on this current credit card offer. The short of it is:
- The sign-up bonus is worth two round-trip domestic economy awards among other decent redemptions.
- You earn a 10,000-mile bonus you earn after spending $25,000 in a calendar year.
- Spending $25,000 on any United-branded credit card will exempt you from the revenue requirements for earning (or retaining) elite status (up to Platinum level, but not 1K). This can be especially valuable given that United has raised these levels for 2015.
- United Premier members who also hold the Explorer Card have access to more upgrades on award tickets. They are prioritized below paid tickets at the Premier level, but above travelers at lower Premier levels.
- Chase has its own program for booking stays at high-end properties around the world. Called the Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection, it offers cardmembers benefits such as complimentary breakfast, room upgrades and unique welcome amenities.
In my most recent monthly valuations, I list United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so I value the sign-up bonus at $750. If you check a bag on just four one-way United flights each year, the free checked bag benefit will save you $100, and I value the two club passes at about $25 each. All told, I think you’ll reasonably get at least $900 in value from this card in the first year, if not more. Readers have reported that when booking a ticket through United.com, you may be able to get a slightly better offer that includes a $50 statement credit.
Check out these posts for more details on the Explorer card and the MileagePlus program in general:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees