Up to 115,000 Bonus American Miles for Flights to Europe This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It looks like my wish came true! On the heels of British Airways’ announcement last week, American Airlines has launched a summer Europe mileage bonus promotion of its own, letting you earn up to 115,000 bonus miles on round-trip flights between Europe and the US, Canada or Mexico on American and US Airways, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and OpenSkies.
American’s promotion looks pretty much exactly the same as British Airways’. To qualify for any bonus miles, you must register here and travel by August 7, 2015.
How many bonus miles you earn depends on the fare class you purchase and how many trips you make. Here’s how it works.
Fly first or business class and earn the following bonuses:
- 1 round-trip – 20,000 miles
- 2 round-trips – 40,000 miles
- 3 round-trips – 55,000 miles
- Total bonus – 115,000 miles
Fly premium economy or full-fare economy and earn these smaller (but still substantial) bonuses:
- 1 round-trip – 5,000 miles
- 2 round-trips – 10,000 miles
- 3 round-trips – 15,000 miles
- Total bonus – 30,000 miles
As usual, there are a lot of conditions. First, your ticket(s) must be booked in the following fare classes:
- American Airlines and US Airways: First-class and business-class fares booked in F, A, P, J, R, D or I; full-fare economy-class fares booked in Y, B or H.
- British Airways: First-class or Club World (business-class) fares booked in F, A, J, R, C, D or I; World Traveller Plus (premium economy) fares booked in W, E or T; Full-fare World Traveller (full-fare economy) booked in Y, B or H.
- Finnair: Business-class fares booked in C, D, I or J; Full-fare economy-class fares booked in Y, B or H.
- Iberia: Business-class fares booked in J, R, C, D or I; full-fare economy-class fares booked in Y, B or H.
- OpenSkies: Biz Bed (business-class) fares booked in J, R, C, D or I; Prem Plus (premium economy) fares booked in W, E or T; full-fare economy-class fares booked in Y, B or H.
This promotion is great news for two reasons. First, it’s an opportunity to earn AAdvantage miles rather than British Airways Avios, which is a huge plus given the recent British Airways devaluation.
Second, unlike the British Airways promo, there is no language in the terms and conditions here excluding existing bookings. Whereas BA was only going to credit folks who booked and flew within the promo period, the only constraint with American is that you fly during the promo period, meaning you could get bonus credit even if you already have a ticket booked. So those of you who got in on the $1,200 business class fares to Paris and fly within the promo period should be able to score the bonus.
Even if you haven’t booked a ticket to Europe for this summer yet, other great business class deals to Europe seem to keep popping up, including some on Oneworld that appeared last week for as low as $1,700 round-trip from various US cities to Paris. So you should still have some good opportunities to earn the bonus before the end of this promo period. Just be sure to register now so you don’t forget!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.