This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
TPG reader Jonathan tweeted me to ask about which credit card offers the best rewards for general spending:
@thepointsguy– “I need credit card for non-category bonus spending. Should I get the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex, or is there another one you recommend?”
For travel, dining and airfare you should be using a credit card that gives you two, three, four or even five points per dollar spent. The more you can maximize these types of purchases, the better. But many purchases don’t fall into any bonus categories, and you need a good credit card for those, so Jonathan brings up a great point.
I personally think Starwood Preferred Guest points are the most valuable points out there, mainly because you can transfer to 32 different airlines (and you get a 25% percent bonus for every 20,000 points transferred). Starpoints give you the flexibility to redeem for air travel, Starwood hotel stays, or even for special experiences.
SPG Moments offer incredible value for things like concerts or sporting events, including VIP access in many cases. For example, I redeemed points to have VIP seats at a New York Knicks game with my dad, and it was definitely worth it.
The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express allows you to earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first three months, and earns 1 Starpoint per dollar spent. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year. One wonderful thing about having Amex credit cards in general is the purchase protection, as well as extended warranties and great customer service. Using Amex for big purchases such as expensive clothing or artwork can offer you great protection and peace of mind.
Another option is the Amex Everyday Preferred Card. You earn Membership Rewards points (including 3x points per dollar spent at supermarkets), and you get a 50% bonus when you hit 30 transactions in a month, so even for non-bonus spending you can earn 1.5 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent. This is a great way to rack up points while taking advantage of the great purchase protection Amex offers.
The wild card that I’ve been using recently for some off-category spending is the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard. You earn two miles per dollar spent on every single purchase. When you redeem your miles for travel, you get 5% back, so I use the card to cover award-ticket fees, and then I use the miles to wipe the charges off my statement.
You can also use this card for other unusual travel purchases — I’ll be using miles from this card to pay for my helicopter service to the Hamptons this summer.
Using a combination of these cards, you can easily benefit from off-category spending!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees