Alaska Airlines Now Charging for Premium Seats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week, Alaska Airlines announced the launch of a new Preferred Plus seating option. Set in bulkhead and exit rows, these seats, which were previously available only to elite members, can now be purchased at the 24-hour check-in window, starting at $15 plus tax.
Here’s what Alaska has to say about these new seats:
Upgrades for rows 6, 16 and 17 can be purchased within 24 hours before check-in at www.alaskaair.com, through the Alaska Airlines mobile apps and at the airport, when available. Previously, only Mileage Plan elite-level customers had access to reserve these seats. Upgrades for elites are, and will continue to be, complimentary from the time of booking through departure.
So basically, Preferred Plus seats will be available to all customers as paid upgrades after Mileage Plan MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members have had an opportunity to reserve them. Elites on Alaska-partner American Airlines will receive complimentary access to Preferred Plus seats, but in what appears to the latest gauntlet thrown in the Battle for Seattle, Medallions on partner/foe Delta will not.
Non-elite members will be able to purchase Preferred Plus seats, which include priority boarding, up to eight inches of extra legroom and a complimentary cocktail, glass of wine or beer, for a starting cost of $15 plus tax. Note that most elite members (e.g., Alaska MVP’s and AAdvantage elites) who receive complimentary upgrades to Preferred Plus won’t get a free drink, but as always, MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks will receive a complimentary drink in the main cabin.
What are your thoughts on Alaska’s new Preferred Plus Seating — think you’ll give it a try?
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees