This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When it comes to my airline loyalty, I’m currently most loyal to American, thanks to my American Executive Platinum status that I’ve earned. One piece of advice that I learned this week is that if you can’t find saver award space on American, you can always call and ask and I did that successfully yesterday.
Next week, I need to fly Sao Paolo to San Francisco and they only had first class saver availability from Sao Paolo to Los Angeles, so instead of paying a huge amount more in miles for the simple Los Angeles to San Francisco flight, I waited a while and set ExpertFlyer alerts, yet no award availability opened up. So instead, I called and simply asked.
The American Executive Platinum representative put in a request with management and told me to wait a couple of minutes. She never heard back, so instead, she told me she would put in a formal request and to callback at the end of the day. I actually forgot to call back in, however by last night they had actually gave me two first class seats.
There were only two seats left for sale on that flight. For free, basically. No additional miles. I assume maybe a couple more dollars in taxes but the bottom line is that it never hurts to ask.
Granted, I’m Executive Platinum, but I think, if you’re ever in a situation instead of spending what I would have had to spend – almost $700 to book those flights, I got them for free by simply asking.
Yes, I could have potentially switched airlines and flew Delta Shuttle, but to fly from Brazil to switch to another carrier to fly to San Francisco to switch to Singapore Airlines would have been too much so in the end I got what I wanted for no additional miles and no additional money.
Have you ever had success with American Airlines opening up saver award space? Feel free to comment below!
LIMITED TIME OFFER: Earn 60,000 miles after $3,000 spent within the first 3 months. The sign-up offer alone is worth up to $840. If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights can be extremely valuable.
- For a limited time, earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- New: Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*