This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some of the best ways to earn travel rewards are through sign-up bonuses and savvy spending on co-branded credit cards. There are cards you get to maximize your earnings in certain spending categories, while others shine by offering specific perks like discounts or elite status. And then there are cards you get for the most important reason of all: because they’re fashionable.
The Kardashian Kard certainly hits that mark, and could redefine how award travel enthusiasts think about the points and miles they earn. Much like the family the card is named for, what it lacks in usefulness, it makes up for with brazen theatrics.
Current Sign-up Bonus: Shame.
Benefits: Earn 3X disapproving looks per occasion that you show your card in a public place, and 1X looks of bemusement from cashiers each time you swipe it. As a cardholder, you’ll get Award Travel Failure status among your more savvy friends, and you can upgrade that to Financial Clown status simply by failing to acknowledge that getting the card was a mistake in the first place. The card also generously comes with no activation fee, and no point of sale fee for either signature or pin-based transactions.
Annual Fee: $99.95 purchase fee for the first 12 months, plus $7.95 monthly fee thereafter. Other fees apply.
Reasons to get it: Much like a black hole, this card has it all. Not only does it wield the distinguished Kardashian name, but also it depicts several members of the family on its face, so you can carry them with you like a money-gobbling Tamagotchi everywhere you go. What more reason do you need?
What impresses me most about the Kardashian Kard is how easily you can earn your way to premium travel—like first and business class flights, or nights at top hotels. Most other travel rewards cards muddle the process by forcing you to earn and redeem points or miles, but with this card (or should I say Kard), each dollar you spend on the card is worth one dollar toward whatever you’re buying. For example, this Delta itinerary shows business class flights from New York to Los Angeles for just over $3,400 round-trip.
All you’d have to do is spend about $3,400 on the card by paying for your ticket, and then you could relax in true Kardashian style on a non-stop transcon. If you’re lucky enough to be on the same flight as one of the Kardashians, you might even be the beneficiary of an inadvertent security breach, which would give you extra time to snap photos and ask for an autograph.
The Kardashian Kard is currently not accepting new applications, but I’ll be keeping an eye out for it, and will be sure to let you know the moment it becomes available.
Until then, please share your thoughts on the Kardashian Kard, and have a great April 1st!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees