Is TSA Precheck Better than the First Class Security Line?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
@thepointsguy – “If I have access to both the first class priority and TSA Precheck security lines, which is usually better?”
I love TSA Precheck. I’ve had it for several years now, and even though some airports are bad at policing the line and TSA often allows random people in, they recently announced they would be cracking down and cutting off people who haven’t actually applied for the program (via Global Entry or through TSA directly).
If you have access to both the Precheck line and the priority line, I would almost always say go with Precheck. Even if the Precheck line is a bit longer, it usually moves faster because you don’t have to take off your jacket or shoes. It will also help you to avoid the “nudescope” body scanner machines that let TSA see, well, everything that you’re offering.
In fact, just a few weeks ago two naughty TSA agents were caught using the scanners for inappropriate activity, so if you have Precheck you may be able to avoid this.
If you enjoy your privacy, then go in the TSA Precheck line. In fact, my suggestion would be to get Global Entry ($100) so you automatically get Precheck — you just have to enter your Known Traveler Number into your frequent flyer profile. There are many credit cards out there offering reimbursement for your Global Entry application fee, so it’s not hard to get. Make sure to check out my most recent post on tips for getting Global Entry and Precheck.
Here are the cards that currently offer Global Entry reimbursement:
- The Platinum Card from American Express
- Citi Prestige Card
- Advantage Aviator Silver Barclaycard
- Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard
- Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card (credit is more general, but Global Entry explicitly qualifies)
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees