This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A couple days ago I wrote a post about “Five Times to Cancel a Rewards Credit Card“. If you missed it, go check it out because I think knowing when to cancel a credit card is just as important as knowing when to apply for a new card. However, one thing I did not talk about in that post was how to very quickly cancel a credit card online.
I don’t like making more phone calls than I have to, and I really don’t enjoy the back and forth with customer service reps when I’ve got a long to-do list. So, yesterday when the $450 annual fee came due on a Citi credit card I needed to cancel, I did what any phone-hating busy person would do and cancelled the credit card online. Yes, you can really cancel some credit cards online! If your bank offers a “secure message center”, there is a good chance you can simply send a message asking to close a specific account and it can be handled all electronically without you ever having to pick up the phone.
In this case I used the Citi Secure Message Center to close a card with less than 30 seconds of time invested on my end.
First, I logged into my Citi online account.
Then I went into the account I wished to close.
Next, I selected the Message Center highlighted in red below.
I wrote a brief new message asking to close my account ending in number XXXX.
The next day the account was closed and I received a message back to that effect. Woohoo, another thing checked off of the to-do list!
In this case I didn’t want any retention offers or to move the credit to another account, I just wanted to straight-up close the card. If you want to try to negotiate some of those sort of things you are best served calling in the old fashioned way. If you just want a quick and to-the-point closure like I did, then online is the way to go. Again, this isn’t something that will work with all banks, but it is worth a shot if your issuer offers online support so you don’t have to waste valuable time on the phone when you can get to the point online in 30 seconds or less!
Have you closed some credit cards online using secure messaging?
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees