This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
Online shopping portals are a fast and simple way to boost your points and miles when shopping online. Sometimes, portals offer spending bonuses that provide an even better return. Through April 29, 2015, you can earn up to 2,250 American Airlines miles by shopping through the AAdvantage eShopping portal.
- Receive 250 bonus miles when you spend between $125-299
- Receive 1,000 bonus miles when you spend between $300-$699
- Receive 2,250 bonus miles when you spend $700 or more
You can only earn the bonus once during the promotional period; however, your spending will be cumulative between all your qualifying purchases, so you don’t need to earn the bonus all at once. Any bonus is in addition to the miles you earn for your spending through the portal. Bonus miles will post roughly 8-10 weeks after completing your purchase. Note that gift card purchases and certain products are ineligible for this promotion.
This offer is a simple way to gain even more value out of shopping through the AAdvantage eShopping portal. In my most recent monthly valuations, I list AAdvantage miles at 1.7 cents apiece, so the maximum bonus of 2,250 miles is worth about $38. That’s not a bad deal for simply making your purchases online.
Again, shopping portals are near the top of the list of easiest ways to earn points and miles. In fact, I list shopping online as Step Six in my Beginner’s Guide. If you don’t already shop through the numerous online shopping portals, I strongly recommend you take a look into doing so, especially if you’re a frequent online shopper. If not, you’re leaving money on the table.
If you’re looking to accrue a larger number of American Airlines miles quickly, check out the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard. The two cards topped my list of best credit card offers last month thanks to the hefty sign-up bonus of 50,000 miles after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months of cardmembership. The sign-up bonus on this card typically doesn’t exceed that mark, so if you’re interested, I wouldn’t hold out for a better offer.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees