Should I Upgrade from Gold Delta Amex to Delta Reserve Card?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
TPG reader Rob sent me this question on Facebook:
“I’m currently a Delta Diamond Medallion member with a Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express. I’m trying to determine whether upgrading to the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express is worth the additional $350. I’ve asked dozens of people and received as many different opinions. What do you think?”
My answer to this question really depends on how much you spend. You should also consider the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, which is kind of an in-between card that doesn’t come with lounge access, but still allows you to earn elite miles and has a much lower annual fee.
If you fly Delta, you might be noticing that complimentary upgrades are becoming harder and harder to get. So one benefit of the Delta Reserve is that it acts as a trump card of sorts, so if you’re tied for an upgrade with another Medallion member, the Delta Reserve cardholder will get the upgrade first, so having this card may get you a few extra upgrades. The card also comes with lounge access, which you might appreciate if you’re a frequent traveler.
You also have the option of earning more Elite qualifying miles if you hit spending thresholds:
- The Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express allows you to earn 10,000 bonus SkyMiles and 10,000 MQMs after spending $25,000, and another 10,000 bonus SkyMiles and 10,000 MQMs after spending $50,000.
- The Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express allows you to earn 15,000 bonus SkyMiles and 15,000 MQMs after spending $30,000, and an additional 15,000 bonus SkyMiles and 15,000 MQMs after spending $60,000.
Looking at the price of the Delta SkyClub alone, the $450 annual fee is worth it if you value lounge access. Plus, you get other perks like the companion ticket, which can help pay for the annual fee:
- With the Platinum card, you’ll receive a domestic Main Cabin Companion Certificate each year upon renewal.
- With the Reserve card, you’ll receive a domestic First Class or Main Cabin Companion Certificate each year upon renewal.
The Delta Reserve® card is similar to The Platinum Card® from American Express because it’s all about perks. If you really value lounge access, you may even want to consider the Amex Platinum instead, because you also get access to Centurion Lounges, Priority Pass, and access to Membership Rewards, which allows you to transfer to not only to Delta, but also about 20 other partners. The key difference is that with the Amex Platinum, you won’t get those MQMs or the Companion ticket. That’s the trade-off.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees