Mom Tries to Sneak Baby through Airport Security X-Ray
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Security officials at Nino Aquino International Airport (NAIA/MNL) in Manila, Philippines were recently surprised by a bizarre image on one of their X-ray scanners—a sleeping infant zipped inside a backpack.
According to Manila’s ABS-CBN News, Jenifer Pavolaurea, a 25-year-old single mother and nursing graduate student, confessed that she had failed to obtain necessary immigration clearance for her 2-month-old son to join her on an Air Nuigini flight to her native country, Papua New Guinea, and instead attempted to smuggle him through security in her carry-on.
Luckily for both mom and baby, authorities decided not to press charges and eventually allowed them continue their journey.
In 2012, The Daily Mail reported a similar incident involving an Egyptian couple who weren’t so fortunate. Having also failed to secure proper travel documentation for their child, the couple attempted to thwart security at the U.A.E.’s Sharjah International Airport (SHJ) by tucking their 5-month-old baby into a duffle bag. When an image of the child was detected by an X-ray scanner at customs, SHJ security officials weren’t sympathetic to the parents’ paperwork oversight, and arrested the couple for child endangerment.
Based on these experiences, I’d gently advise parents of very young children to determine and process their required legal travel documentation far in advance of booking tickets for an overseas flight—and to keep their children out of their luggage.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.