This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Free WiFi is fast becoming less of a benefit and more of a given for hotel guests around the world. Whereas even a year ago many of the major chains charged everyone but elites for using WiFi while smaller hotels enticed business travelers with the promise of free internet access, the larger hotel brands finally seem to have realized that guests expect free internet access during their stays.
In the latest news on this front, Hilton announced on Flyertalk that they to want to get on the bandwagon and will be rolling out complimentary WiFi for Hilton Hhonors members. Here’s the announcement:
As you know, we value your feedback tremendously and have been listening closely to what you have to say to help us continue to evolve the HHonors program. And, thanks to your thoughts and input on our Wi-Fi offerings, we’ve decided to make some updates as we know this is one of the HHonors benefits that matters most to you. Details below:
- Our most loyal guests, Diamond members, will receive complimentary premium Wi-Fi beginning in the second quarter this year at all of our properties when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or via one of our corporate travel partners.
- Starting in August, we will extend complimentary standard Wi-Fi access to Blue and Silver members when they book their stays directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners.
- Complimentary standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels or one of our corporate travel partners.
- Booking directly through a proprietary Hilton channel one of our corporate travel partners:
- The Hilton HHonors mobile app
- Online from hilton.com, HHonors.com, or any of our brand/hotel websites
- Calling Hilton Reservations Customer Care: 1-800-HHonors or your local Hilton reservations office
- Calling an individual hotel (plus walk-ins and physical on-property too)
- Via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals that book via a Hilton proprietary channel
- This update doesn’t apply to hotels where there is a resort charge.
You’ll receive this benefit when booking directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners, which enables us to provide you with a more personalized stay experience. We heard you loud and clear when it comes to Wi-Fi and have shared your feedback with our broader team, so thank you for helping us better understand what is important to you.
This is the latest in a series of recent announcements by the major chains, which we recently saw Hyatt launching Free WiFi for their guests, as well as Starwood Preferred Guest offering complimentary internet access to SPG members who book their stays either through SPG.com, directly through a hotel website or using the SPG app.
Likewise, Marriott announced in November that it would offer free in-room WiFi to all Marriott Rewards members who booked directly through Marriott booking channels, while Gold and Platinum elites would continue to receive free enhanced WiFi where available.
IHG led the pack of major programs to offer free WiFi, first to all elites in 2013, then to all IHG Rewards members starting in 2014, though Club Carlson has long offered all members free internet at all of its 1,000+ properties.
What are your thought’s about Hilton’s latest announcement?