Etihad to Launch New York to Abu Dhabi Service on the A380
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Etihad launched their new A380 service between Abu Dhabi and London, which featured a new ultra-luxury suite, as well as apartment-style first-class suites and business-class studios.
The first of its ten A380s started flying in December between London and Abu Dhabi (LHR-AUH), which is now being followed by four more planes this year, which will add routes to Sydney, Melbourne, New York and Paris. Three more A380s will launch in 2016, and the last two will take flight in 2017.
It turns out, that they’ve just announced their new service between Abu Dhabi and New York will officially start December 1, 2015.
Etihad’s three-room Residence Class suite will sit in the front section of the upper-deck cabin, and will feature its own living room, separate bedroom and ensuite shower. In addition to the residence, the plane features 9 first class apartments which feature a 80.5” long fully flat-bed.
Currently, there is no first class availability yet, but we’ll let readers know once they’re available. The good thing about Etihad awards is that you don’t need to have an account with them to search for award space, so it’s pretty easy to hop over to their site, and do a quick search.
When First Class award space does open, your best bet is to use 90,000 American AAdvantage miles for a one-way First Class award between New York-Abu Dhabi.
I’ve been wanting to test this out, though the current route between Abu Dhabi and London isn’t a route I’d normally fly, so with the new service between New York and Abu Dhabi, I hope to be able take this new cabin for a spin. Don’t worry I’m not gonna do a Kickstarter to fund this, but I’m still gonna trying to figure out some way to try it out. Stay tuned…
Are you looking forward to trying out the new Etihad A380?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.