This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Etihad launched their new A380 service between Abu Dhabi and London, which featured a new ultra-luxury suite, as well as apartment-style first-class suites and business-class studios.
The first of its ten A380s started flying in December between London and Abu Dhabi (LHR-AUH), which is now being followed by four more planes this year, which will add routes to Sydney, Melbourne, New York and Paris. Three more A380s will launch in 2016, and the last two will take flight in 2017.
It turns out, that they’ve just announced their new service between Abu Dhabi and New York will officially start December 1, 2015.
Etihad’s three-room Residence Class suite will sit in the front section of the upper-deck cabin, and will feature its own living room, separate bedroom and ensuite shower. In addition to the residence, the plane features 9 first class apartments which feature a 80.5” long fully flat-bed.
Currently, there is no first class availability yet, but we’ll let readers know once they’re available. The good thing about Etihad awards is that you don’t need to have an account with them to search for award space, so it’s pretty easy to hop over to their site, and do a quick search.
When First Class award space does open, your best bet is to use 90,000 American AAdvantage miles for a one-way First Class award between New York-Abu Dhabi.
I’ve been wanting to test this out, though the current route between Abu Dhabi and London isn’t a route I’d normally fly, so with the new service between New York and Abu Dhabi, I hope to be able take this new cabin for a spin. Don’t worry I’m not gonna do a Kickstarter to fund this, but I’m still gonna trying to figure out some way to try it out. Stay tuned…
Are you looking forward to trying out the new Etihad A380?
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.