This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’re yet again nearing Valentine’s Day, so if you’re hoping to get that special someone in your life some flowers, candy or jewelry (or more), make sure that you’re earning miles and points on these romantic presents by purchasing via an online shopping portal!
A Bit About Online Shopping Portals
Many of the major airline and hotel programs, as well as Ultimate Rewards from Chase, have online shopping portals. Online shopping portals are sites that offer loyalty program members multiple points or miles per dollar they spend on retailers that have partnered with the loyalty programs. This is great for Valentine’s Day, because many flower retailers have great limited-time deals where you can earn over 20 points or miles per dollar, which I’ll outline in more detail towards the end of the post.
To earn those bonuses, you must register your loyalty account (e.g., frequent flyer, hotel or credit card) with the online shopping portal. When you click through to a retailer on the portal, it puts a cookie on your computer that tracks your purchase and earns you bonus points or miles. Pretty simple!
You can pretty much use any credit card you want to make the purchase, so even if you’re going through the American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping portal, you don’t have to use a so-branded card like Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard, you can use your Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express and earn bonus AAdvantage miles and the SkyMiles you’d normally earn on the purchase.
Here are links to the major online shopping portals:
- Aeromexico: Mall Premier
- airBaltic PINS: PINS e-Shop
- Air Canada: Aeroplan EStore
- Air France: Air France Flying Blue Shopping
- Alaska: Mileage Plan Shopping
- Alitalia: MilleMiglia Mall
- All Nippon Airways: ANA Gift
- American: AAdvantageEshopping.com
- Amtrak: Amtrak Guest Rewards
- Barclays: Barclays RewardsBoost
- British Airways: BA Miles Estore
- Cathay Pacific: Asia Miles iShop
- Caesars Total Rewards: Total Rewards Marketplace
- Chase: Shop through CHASE
- Choice Rewards: Choice Privileges Mall
- Citi: Thank You Shopping
- Delta: Skymilesshopping.com
- Discover: Discover Deals
- e-Miles: e-Miles MARKET
- Etihad: Etihad Guest – Earn Mall: Shop & Earn
- Finnair Plus: Finnair Plusshop
- Frontier: Early Returns Mall
- Hawaiian Airlines: Hawaiian Airlines eMarket
- Hilton HHonors: Hilton HHonors Shop to Earn Mall
- Japan Airlines: JAL Shopping Americas
- JetBlue: ShopBlue
- KLM: Shop@KLM
- Marriott Rewards: Shop My Way
- Miles & More: Miles & More Online Shopping
- MyPoints: MyPoints Shopping
- Qantas: Qantas Shop
- Singapore Airlines: KRISSHOP – SINGAPORE AIRLINES
- Sony Rewards: Points Plus
- South African Airways Voyager: MILES FOR STYLE
- Southwest: Rapid Rewards Shopping
- United: MileagePlusshopping.com
- Upromise: Upromise
- US Airways: Dividend Miles Shopping Mall
- Virgin Atlantic: Shops Away
- Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer: velocity eStore
- Visa: Visa Offers (these are discounts, not points-earning purchases)
Before shopping, I always check EVReward first because it provides a fairly accurate picture of the bonuses being offered on online shopping portals. Sometimes they don’t have the most up-to-date info, though, so if you find that a merchant isn’t offering bonuses through your credit card, airline or hotel loyalty program of choice, it’s still worth directly double-checking your preferred portal.
Here I’ve listed bonuses at three major flower/gift distributors, and further down some individual portal vendors that could also have some great gift ideas for your special someone, such as jewelry.
- American: 15 miles per $
- Hawaiian: 30 miles per $ (promo code HAEM30, expires Feb. 15, 2015)
- US Airways: 25 miles per $ (promo code USSEMB25)
- American Airlines: 30 miles per $
- Delta SkyMiles: 35 miles per $ (*Delta Medallions earn an additional 500 miles per purchase)
- Hilton HHonors: 6 points per $
- Marriott Rewards: 15 points per $
- United Airlines: 30 miles per $
- American Airlines: 8.0 miles per $ (*promo code DLVRCUPID, expires Feb. 12, 2015)
- Marriott Rewards: 13.0 points per $
Top Shopping Portals
- Nordstrom: 6 miles per $
- Shari’s Berries: 9 miles per $ (12 miles per $ expiring Feb. 12, 2015)
- ProFlowers: 9 miles per $
- Sephora: 4 miles per $
- From You Flowers: 12 miles per $ (Expires Feb. 14, 2015)
- Godiva: 2 miles per $
- Perfumania: 3 miles per $
- Lord & Taylor: 3 miles per $
- Neiman Marcus: 2 miles per $
- Clinique: 3 points per $
- Nordstrom: 5 points per $ (expires Feb. 14, 2015)
- Shari’s Berries: 7 points per $ (expires Feb. 14, 2015)
- Lancome: 5 points per $
- David Yurman: 5 miles per $ (expires Feb. 14, 2015) *Note this is one instance where EVReward was not updated and still reflects the 3 miles per $, so make sure to double-check all your offers before purchasing.
- Blue Nile: 3 miles per $ (expires Feb. 13, 2015)
- See’s Candies: 2 miles per $
The TPG team would like to wish you a very happy Valentine’s Day filled with love, miles and points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.