This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
Currently, both the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, and the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard are offering 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after you make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. I value AAdvantage miles at 1.7 cents apiece so the sign-up bonus from each of these cards is worth $850, or $1,700 for both.
That’s a great value, and reason enough to consider getting these cards. However, another great perk for Citi AAdvantage cardholders is the discount you get on award tickets when you redeem AAdvantge miles.
Both of these cards (and others) offer reduced-price awards that can save you either 5,000 or 7,500 miles off round-trip award tickets in economy or first class, on certain routes within the US and Canada that originate within the 48 contiguous United States.
These discounted awards used to be available between various city pairs on a quarterly basis, but the program has been tweaked so that reduced mileage award routes now change monthly. Participating routes have been planned out through May, 2015. As long as there is MileSAAver availability, you should be able to receive these discounts, but you must call to book.
American Waiving Phone Booking Fees
In addition, American has announced it will now waive award ticketing service charges for bookings that cannot be made on AA.com. Currently, you can only book American, US Airways, Air Berlin, Alaska, British Airways, Finnair, Hawaiian, Qantas, and Royal Jordanian awards on American’s site, so this will waive the fees for other partner awards, as well as those for reduced mileage awards for Citi AAdvantage Cardholders (since you can’t book those online either).
Note that on February 16, American will begin charging higher phone ticketing service fees of $30 for domestic itineraries and $40 for international itineraries that can be booked online.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees