This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
Currently, both the Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, and the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard are offering 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after you make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. I value AAdvantage miles at 1.7 cents apiece so the sign-up bonus from each of these cards is worth $850, or $1,700 for both.
That’s a great value, and reason enough to consider getting these cards. However, another great perk for Citi AAdvantage cardholders is the discount you get on award tickets when you redeem AAdvantge miles.
Both of these cards (and others) offer reduced-price awards that can save you either 5,000 or 7,500 miles off round-trip award tickets in economy or first class, on certain routes within the US and Canada that originate within the 48 contiguous United States.
These discounted awards used to be available between various city pairs on a quarterly basis, but the program has been tweaked so that reduced mileage award routes now change monthly. Participating routes have been planned out through May, 2015. As long as there is MileSAAver availability, you should be able to receive these discounts, but you must call to book.
American Waiving Phone Booking Fees
In addition, American has announced it will now waive award ticketing service charges for bookings that cannot be made on AA.com. Currently, you can only book American, US Airways, Air Berlin, Alaska, British Airways, Finnair, Hawaiian, Qantas, and Royal Jordanian awards on American’s site, so this will waive the fees for other partner awards, as well as those for reduced mileage awards for Citi AAdvantage Cardholders (since you can’t book those online either).
Note that on February 16, American will begin charging higher phone ticketing service fees of $30 for domestic itineraries and $40 for international itineraries that can be booked online.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees