Amex Premier Rewards Gold New Benefits and Increased Fee
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Today, American Express announced upcoming changes to bonus categories and benefits on the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, including increased points earning at restaurants, a new $100 airline fee credit, and no foreign transaction fees, beginning June 1, 2015. The annual fee will also be increased from $175 to a $0 Intro Annual Fee for the 1st year, then $195. While the value of the benefits outweighs the $20 increase, the question to be asked is whether this card and hefty annual fee are worth it versus the competitors with lower fees and, in some cases, better value. The details of the new offer are as follows:
2x Bonus on Dining
Starting June 1, 2015, you’ll earn 2X Membership Rewards points at restaurants, which is a nice added benefit and clearly a play to compete better with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which offers 2x points on all travel and dining.
Playing Catch-up With Foreign Transaction Fees
Starting June 1, 2015 the card will no longer levy foreign transaction fe
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees