Amex Premier Rewards Gold New Benefits and Increased Fee
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Today, American Express announced upcoming changes to bonus categories and benefits on the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, including increased points earning at restaurants, a new $100 airline fee credit, and no foreign transaction fees, beginning June 1, 2015. The annual fee will also be increased from $175 to a $0 Intro Annual Fee for the 1st year, then $195. While the value of the benefits outweighs the $20 increase, the question to be asked is whether this card and hefty annual fee are worth it versus the competitors with lower fees and, in some cases, better value. The details of the new offer are as follows:
2x Bonus on Dining
Starting June 1, 2015, you’ll earn 2X Membership Rewards points at restaurants, which is a nice added benefit and clearly a play to compete better with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which offers 2x points on all travel and dining.
Playing Catch-up With Foreign Transaction Fees
Starting June 1, 2015 the card will no longer levy foreign transaction fe
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees