This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following in the footsteps of American Airlines, United Airlines will be offering premium travelers mileage bonuses for travel completed between January 9 through February 28. United MileagePlus members will be able to earn up to 12,000 bonus award miles per flight segment, in addition to base earnings and other bonus miles they typically earn.
Here’s a look at the new bonuses that MileagePlus members will earn:
Long-haul flights include those of at least 3,000 miles and United’s p.s. Premium Service between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles and between New York (JFK) and San Francisco.
Per the terms and conditions, qualifying flight segments included in this promotion are flights operated by United or United Express, or flights marketed by United and operated by Air Canada (AC), All Nippon Airways (NH), Austrian Airlines (OS), Brussels Airlines (SN), Copa Airlines (CM), Lufthansa (LH) or Swiss International Airlines (LX).
Members do not need to register for the promotion as the bonus miles will post to MileagePlus accounts automatically two to four weeks after the qualifying flight is completed.
Unlike American’s promotion which is valid on for all of 2015, United’s is only valid for the first two months. Perhaps they are trying to see what sort of impact this has on the amount of people purchasing premium fares, before they decide to implement for the whole year.
When it comes to the amount of bonus miles you’ll earn, United’s chart is literally identical to American’s, so we all know where their creative team got these numbers from. I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta follows suit with a similar promotion in the next few weeks as well!
What are your thoughts on United’s latest offering? Will this motivate you to purchase premium fares on United the next couple of months?
The United Explorer card recently got some enhancements like 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and on hotel stays and a Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Fee credit (up to $100). The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
- 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit
- 25% back on United inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $120 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.