Should I Cancel My Delta Suntrust Debit for Amex Platinum?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – The Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card from American Express
Many people have reported being targeted for the 100,000 point offer for The Platinum Card from American Express through the CardMatch Tool. Be sure to check for yourself to see what offers are available to you (there is no credit check)!
TPG reader Ryan tweeted me to ask:
@thepointsguy–“Is it worth keeping the Delta SunTrust Debit MasterCard or should I use that $75 to upgrade my American Express to Platinum?”
The Delta Suntrust Debit MasterCard is one of the few debit cards that lets you earn airline miles. I keep one open and pay the annual fee because I use it to pay my taxes. For a small surcharge of just a few dollars, I can earn miles for my tax bills with this card without getting charged a credit card fee (because it’s a debit card, not credit). However, it’s not a great option for day to day earning, since you only earn one mile per dollar spent.
Instead of an upgrade to The Platinum Card from American Express, I would suggest getting the American Express Everyday card. This one has no annual fee, and earns one Membership Rewards point for every dollar spent (two on grocery purchases), but you also gain the option of transferring points to other partners and not just Delta. Plus, if you make 20 transactions per month on the card, you get a 20% bonus on all points earned. Additionally, the sign-up bonus is currently 10,000 points after spending $1,000 within three months, and you get Amazon Prime for a year. Finally, this credit card gives you extended purchase protection and warranties that a debit card doesn’t offer.
In conclusion, unless you have a hefty tax bill coming, I would suggest canceling the Suntrust card and getting the Amex Everyday card.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees