Delta Pay With Miles Tickets Will Now Earn SkyMiles in 2015
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amidst a snowstorm of negative changes to the Delta SkyMiles program in 2015, one good flurry has appeared from out of the clear blue sky.
Historically, only first and business class tickets booked with Delta Pay With Miles—a payment option that allows Delta SkyMiles Amex cardholders (e.g., the Gold and Reserve versions) to redeem SkyMiles for all or part of the price of Delta tickets at the rate of 1 cent per mile—have been eligible for mileage accrual.
Starting on January 1, 2015, though, all classes of Pay With Miles tickets booked on that day or later will be eligible for Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQMs) and Medallion Qualifying Segments (MQSs), and any portion of the base fare and surcharges paid for in cash will earn miles and Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs).
In case you’re thinking what I’m thinking, yes—this does seem complicated. And though this change to the Pay With Miles program gives you a bit more value than the previous redemption rate of 1 cent per mile, you’re still likely to get an even better value when redeeming one-way business class awards on Delta partner airlines like Alitalia, KLM and Virgin Atlantic.
Still, after a truly miserable year’s worth of SkyMiles devaluations, I feel no need to disparage this last-minute present from the airline. Happy New Year, Delta Amex cardholders, and enjoy your new mileage accrual!
Hat Tip: Delta Points
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees