This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a round-up of the week’s points, miles and travel industry news you may have missed:
Save 50% on Starwood Properties in Asia Pacific
You can save 50% on Starwood stays in Asia Pacific properties. The offer is available to book online, or call 877-782-0150 and ask for rate plan DAILY50. You must book by December 7, 2014 and stay by March 1, 2015.
100% Bonus on Purchased Avianca LifeMiles
You can effectively buy miles at half price a 100% bonus on purchased Avianca LifeMiles through December 19, 2015. You can purchase miles in blocks of 1,000 for $33 (plus tax, which varies based on your location), so technically you’ll get 2,000 miles at that price with the bonus. The terms and conditions state that you can buy a maximum of 150,000 miles per calendar year (including bonuses) and these miles do not count toward elite status qualification.
At that price (excluding taxes), you’re paying 1.65 cents per mile. I value Avianca miles at 1.7 cents apiece, so this is a fair deal, especially if you need to top off your account for a specific redemption. You might consider buying miles speculatively as well, since the LifeMiles program has some quirky aspects you can take advantage of to save on international business class fares.
Get 1,000 Bonus American Airlines AAdvantage miles or US Airways Dividend Miles for Marriott Stays
When you stay at select JW Marriott, Autograph Collection Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels, or Gaylord Hotels, you can earn 1,000 bonus American Airlines AAdvantage miles or 1,000 bonus US Airways Dividend Mile with each stay. There are 270 Marriott participating properties in the US and Canada, and you must first register for the promotion. Book by December 31, 2014 and stay by January 31, 2015.
Get 2,000 Bonus Skymiles for Shopping on Gilt
Medallion members can earn four miles per dollar spent shopping on Gilt, and non-Medallion members can earn 2,000 bonus Skymiles for spending $50 or more on Gilt.com. The purchase must be your first on Gilt to be eligible to earn the bonus miles, and the $50 minimum does not include shipping or tax. Shop before December 7, 2014 to obtain the bonus miles.
Earn 3X Singapore KrisFlyer Miles With Hilton HHonors Stays in Asia, 2X Everywhere Else
You can earn triple KrisFlyer miles for Hilton stays in China, Australia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia, and double points on stays everywhere else. To earn the miles, you must be a Hilton HHonors member and a KrisFlyer member with your double dip partner set to Singapore Airlines. Make sure to first register for this promotion before booking your stay. The promotion is valid for stays until February 28, 2015.
Earn Up to 45,000 AAdvantage or Dividend Bonus Miles On Purchased Miles
- Buy 10,000-19,000–Get 3,000 Bonus
- Buy 20,000-29,000–Get 6,000 Bonus
- Buy 30,000-39,000–Get 10,000 Bonus
- Buy 40,000-49-000–Get 15,000 Bonus
- Buy 50,000-59,000-Get 20,000 Bonus
- Buy 60,000-69,000-Get 30,000 Bonus
- Buy 70,000-79,000–Get 40,000 Bonus
- Buy 80,000 or more–Get 45,000 Bonus
AAdvantage members must purchase at least 10,000 AAdvantage miles in a single transaction before 11 pm CT on January 2, 2015 to be eligible for bonus miles. Each AAdvantage member is limited to purchasing or receiving a combined total of no more than 80,000 AAdvantage miles in a calendar year. These miles do not count toward elite status qualification.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.