Ski for Free with Your Alaska Airlines Boarding Pass
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Winter is almost upon us, which means ski season is inching closer too. What better way to celebrate this polar vortex than a ski trip? Alaska Airlines flies to some of the most popular ski destinations, and is working with different ski resorts in various destinations to offer opportunities to ski for free by simply showing your Alaska Airlines boarding pass.
The participating offers are outlined below by destination. Some are better than others, so read through the deals to see if one works for you.
Alyeska Resort, Alaska: The third largest state park in the US (495,000 acres), Alyeska Resort is known for its steep terrain and inlet ocean views.
The Offer: Present your same-day Alaska Airlines boarding pass and your ID at check-in and ski free Monday through Friday at Alyeska Resort with an overnight stay. You can also get free night-skiing when night operations are in effect.
Mammoth Resort, California: This spot offers the highest summit of any California ski resort at at 11,053 feet for serious skiers.
The Offer: Present an Alaska Airlines boarding pass from Los Angeles to Mammoth and ski free the day you arrive.
Squaw Valley, California: In addition to 6,000 acres of skiing, Squaw Valley also offers a “village” with restaurants, bars, and shopping.
The Offer: Present your same-day boarding pass with your photo ID to receive a complimentary lift ticket good from 1-4 p.m. This deal is valid with any airline boarding pass, not just Alaska.
Big White Ski Resort, British Columbia: This resort has 25 feet of snow a year, and not just any snow– this white powder has been voted “Best Snow in North America” by readers of Condé Nast Traveler.
The Offer: For free skiing, present your same-day arrival boarding pass and ID to the Village Centre Mall Ticket Office, and you’ll receive a free lift ticket.
Steamboat Springs Resort, Colorado: This authentic Western resort is home to 165 trails, 3,668 vertical feet, and nearly 3,000 snowy acres across six peaks.
The Offer: Show your Alaska Airlines boarding pass to the Steamboat Ticket Office on your day of arrival and get a free evening of night skiing that night. Night skiing is offered Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday evenings from 5:30 to 8:30 pm.
Sun Valley, Idaho: This family-friendly resort offers not only downhill skiing, but also nordic cross country skiing.
The Offer: By showing your Alaska Airlines boarding pass, you get an afternoon of free skiing, snow boarding, or cross country skiing at the Sun Valley Nordic Center and a free, two hour morning ski/board group lesson the following day.
Big Sky Resort, Montana: At this resort you can ski over 5,800 acres and navigate 4,350 feet of vertical drop.
The Offer: Ski free the day after you arrive when you show your boarding pass and stay in Big Sky Central Reservations Lodging. Blackout dates are: Dec. 25, 2014-Jan. 2, 2015, February 13-17 2015, March 7-13, 2015, and April 18-19, 2015.
Whitefish Resort, Montana: Ski over 300 inches of snow annually while you take in views of nearby Great Glacier National Park.
The Offer: Present your Alaska boarding pass at check-in and get a free lift ticket when you book a minimum two-day/two-night ski vacation. This means your third day of skiing is free. Call 877-SKI-FISH and use code FreeAK to register for your free ticket. The offer is valid only Monday-Friday, with blackout dates on Dec 19, 2014 – Jan 2, 2015 and Feb 13-20, 2015.
Taos Ski Resort, New Mexico: Enjoy skiing along the brand new Kachina Peak lift with a height of 12, 450 feet.
The Offer: Show your Alaska Airlines boarding pass and present proof of purchase for one full day, non-discounted lift ticket, and receive the second day lift ticket free. Blackout dates are December 26-31, 2014.
Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort, Oregon: This dormant volcano features nearly 3,700 acres of skiable terrain, 3,365 vertical feet, and 360 degrees of skiing and riding options off the summit, plus 462 inches of snow every year.
The Offer: By showing your Alaska Airlines boarding pass, you get a free Mt. Bachelor lift ticket in addition to a High Performance Ski or Snowboard equipment rental package the day you land.
Snowbasin Resort, Utah: This luxury ski resort offers 3,000 skiable acres with 3,000 vertical feet.
The Offer: Fly Alaska Airlines to Salt Lake City between Monday and Wednesday, and present your boarding pass for a free day pass redeemable Tuesday through Thursday of the same week. Offer valid ONLY between December 3-19, 2014 and January 4-April 19, 2015.
Snowbird Resort, Utah: This resort has Utah’s longest ski season with 500 inches of snow per year.
The Offer: Book a minimum of two nights early-week lodging at Snowbird (located just 20 minutes away from SLC International Airport) and get free daily lift tickets per adult when you show your Alaska Airlines boarding pass. The offer is valid Sunday -Thursday nights between January 4-April 2, 2015, with a five night maximum stay. Kids 12 and under also ski free for every night of their stay on this package.
Finally, Alaska Airlines is offering a promotion for avid skiers who travel more than a few times a season. Register and fly two round trips between Washington, Oregon, or California and select ski destinations (see below), and you can get a discount code good for a third round-trip ticket to any of those same destinations. To qualify:
- You must be a resident of Washington, Oregon, or California.
- Register prior to your first qualifying flight.
- Fly 2 round trips from Washington, Oregon, or California to any of the cities below by February 23, 2015, and credit the flight miles to Mileage Plan.
- Salt Lake City
- Steamboat Springs
- Sun Valley
- Mammoth Lakes
Once you’ve received your Discount Code, use it to book travel for February 1 through April 30, 2015, between any Alaska Airlines city in Washington, Oregon, or California and the specified destinations. The discount code must be ticketed by March 30, 2015. You will be responsible for covering taxes & fees, which start at $29.
Hat Tip: Travel Codex
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.