Save a Dog’s Life While on Vacation in Kauai
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Outside of travel, one of my personal passions is dog rescue. These days I don’t get to support the rescue effort as a foster home near as much as I used to thanks to having a young kid and a 14+ year old rescued grumpy husky in the house, but I try to use my wallet to support the efforts as much as I can.
I also love to look for unique ways to combine travel and dog rescue, and there is one really awesome way that I want to highlight as it combines dog rescue and one of my very favorite islands, Kauai.
If you have a soft spot for dogs in need, and are flying Alaska Airlines to San Diego, Portland, Seattle, or Oakland on a nonstop Alaska Airlines flights from Lihue, you can save a dog for very little effort and no cost!
Remember, one of the best values in points travel is going to Hawaii from the West Coast using British Airways Avios to fly on American or Alaska operated flights for as low as 12,500 Avios each way, so these Alaska routings should apply to many of you!
Each year Kauai Humane Society accepts around 7,000 animals, but they have a limited number of available adoptive homes due to being on an island. Their Pet Transfer Program helps save lives by sending dogs to mainland shelters with more exposure and high adoption rates. The Pet Transfer Program has sent more than 400 animals to mainland shelters via Alaska Airlines since the start of the program in December 2012.
They say the cost of the flight for each dog flying alone is about $400, but if the dog/puppy is accompanied by a passenger, then the dog’s flight is free! This means they are always looking for travelers on Alaska Airlines who are willing to escort shelter dogs traveling to the mainland. This literally can save a dog’s life and not require very much effort at all on your part.
I contacted the Kauai Humane Society for details on exactly what a traveler has to do to participate in the program, and they outlined the following protocols (also detailed on their website):
- Contact brandy at kauaihumane.org with your Alaska Airlines flight date, time, and destination
- Kauai Humane Society meets you at the airport “90 minutes prior to check-in” to get the animals checked in for the flight
- Most of the time the dogs fly in cargo, so there is nothing for you to do during the flight.
- Once you land, you will go to baggage claim to receive the animal and then immediately turn it over to a shelter volunteer at your destination
If you want to get involved with the Kauai Humane Society on your Hawaiian trip, but aren’t flying back to the mainland on an eligible Alaska flight, then you can still participate with their Shelter Dog Field Trips program where you can “check out” a dog for the day in order to help socialize the dogs, get them some exercise, and hopefully you can also have a little fun with your dog-for-the-day. They will also help get the dog back to the mainland with you in case you fall in love and want to adopt your dog-for-the-day friend!
Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to fit this type of “traveling dog rescue” into their vacation itinerary! If this idea sounds so awesome you feel inspired to plan a trip around it to Kauai, here are some resources to get you started.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees