50,000 Points Sign-Up Bonus for Southwest Cards Is Back
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Chase is once again offering increased sign-up bonuses of 50,000 bonus Rapid Rewards points for the Southwest Premier and Plus Visas – both the personal and business version of the Premier and the personal and business Plus cards. To get the full bonus on any of these cards, you must spend $2,000 within 3 months of account opening.
Aside from the value of the sign-up bonuses on their own, these points also count toward the Southwest Companion Pass, which is one of the most valuable travel benefits out there. The timing of these card offers is perfect, since the Companion Pass is valid for the remainder of the year in which you earn it, plus the entire following year. If you were to apply for two of these cards now, and then earn the Companion Pass in January with help from the 100,000 points earned through the sign-up bonuses, your Companion Pass would be valid until the end of 2016!
Chase offers these 50,000 point sign-up bonuses periodically, but you never know if or when they’ll come around, and they usually only last for a few weeks. If the timing isn’t right for you now, my guess is that these offers will come back, but possibly not until later in the spring of 2015.
Even if you don’t want the companion pass, 50,000 Rapid Rewards points are worth almost $715 in Wanna Get Away fares, so it’s one of the most solid credit card offers on the market if you fly Southwest a lot.
There are also some other ways to get the Companion Pass without flying all year on Southwest. For instance, earlier this year I helped my parents leverage Marriott’s Flight + Hotel conversions to get a Companion Pass for them (while booking a hotel stay for myself), using a combination of buying Marriott points at 1.25 cents each and transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards points from my Ink Bold and Ink Plus. By earning 360,000 Marriott points, I booked what would have been an otherwise prohibitively expensive week-long award stay at the JW Marriott in Cannes, and got my dad 120,000 Southwest points – enough for the Companion Pass and then some.
So even if you already have all four of these Southwest cards, you still have some options if you think creatively. However, these sign-up bonuses are by far the best, easiest way to rack up Companion Pass qualifying points (and are good offers in general), so if you’ve been considering getting any of the Southwest credit cards, now is a good time.
Check out these posts for more information on maximizing the offer:
Maximize Monday: Southwest Companion Pass FAQ And Strategies
Top 11 Ways To Top Up Your Account For The Southwest Companion Pass
Southwest Points vs. Southwest Credits: When Transferring Makes Sense and How to Check Availability
Can I Get Two Southwest Cards In One Day To Qualify For A Companion Pass
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.