Using Apple Pay with Rewards Earning Credit Cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m not usually an early adopter in the world of technology, but I made an exception today and downloaded the newest iOS 8.1 update on my iPhone 6 which enabled me to try out Apple Pay. This is (somewhat) relevant to miles and points because you can store different credit cards in your Apple Pay account and use those to pay at select stores to maximize various category bonuses without having to actually have them in your physical wallet.
I can say that I have successfully used Apple Pay to buy lunch. My 64-year-old dad cracked up at me buying lunch with a cell phone.
According to MacWorld, the credit cards that currently work with Apple Pay are issued by:
- American Express
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
I thought I remembered seeing it was just Visa-issued Chase cards that work, but I haven’t tried to add a Chase MasterCard yet. The stores that MacWorld listed as being early Apple Pay adopters are:
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Babies ‘R’ Us
- BJ’s Wholesale Club
- Champs Sports
- Chevron and Texaco, including retail stores like ExtraMile
- The Disney Store
- Duane Reade
- Foot Locker, including Kids Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, House of Hoops, and Run by Foot Locker
- Office Depot
- Panera Bread
- Petco and Unleashed by Petco
- Sports Authority
- Toys ‘R’ Us
- Whole Foods Market
Stores that are said to roll-out Apple Pay later this year:
- Free People
- Urban Outfitters
- Walt Disney World Resort
Steps to use Apple Pay:
- You have to have one of the newer devices like the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.
- Update to iOS 8.1 that was released today
- Go into the Passbook app and add a credit card (or two). You can use the camera to scan the card number or enter it in manually. The cards with the info printed on the back like the Chase Sapphire Preferred did not work with the camera for me so had to be entered manually.
- Some cards like my Amex automatically worked while others were only activated after I entered a code that was emailed to me.
- Hold the phone near the terminal to pay and then verify with your thumb print or four digit code. You can select between the different credit cards you have added pretty easily.
- It took a few extra seconds to process, but the transaction went through and displays as a recent transaction in my Apple Pay account.
I used Apple Pay successfully at Panera for lunch and hope to try it out at some other stores on the list soon. Apple Pay would get really interesting for me if you could add prepaid cards or if you could use an iTunes balance to pay at other stores. I have read that using prepaid cards is likely to come later for Apple Pay. For now I can’t imagine this is a game changer for those with multiple rewards earning credit cards, but maybe it’s a start.
Have you used Apple Pay with your rewards earning credit cards?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees