United and Hertz Launch New Partnership with Elite Benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines and Hertz announced today that they’ll be launching an exclusive partnership beginning November 1, 2014, where United MileagePlus members can receive exclusive perks when renting with Hertz, including the ability to earn complimentary elite status.
With this new partnership, MileagePlus members can earn the following bonus miles with each Hertz rental:
- 1,250 miles – MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members;
- 1,000 miles – MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members
- 750 miles – Primary cardmembers of MileagePlus credit cards from Chase
- 500 miles – MileagePlus general members.
Additionally, beginning Jan. 1, 2015, MileagePlus Global Services, Premier 1K and Premier Platinum members, and primary MileagePlus Club and Presidential Plus Card members can sign up for complimentary Hertz President’s Circle status in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program, with benefits that include:
- Confirmed availability of standard-equipment economy through full-size, four-door vehicles in the United States and Canada, with a minimum 48-hour advance reservation; and
- Confirmed one-car-class upgrade availability at all participating locations in the United States and Canada and select European locations.
MileagePlus Premier Gold and Premier Silver members can sign up for complimentary Hertz Five Star status, which includes one-car-class upgrades based on availability.
United currently has an exclusive hotel partnership with Marriott known as RewardsPlus, where MileagePlus Premier members can receive elite status with Marriott and Marriott Rewards members receive Premier Silver status. It’s interesting that this new partnership with Hertz seems to be one-sided, since current Hertz President’s Circle and Hertz Five Star members don’t receive any additional benefits with United.
I think the best benefit of this new partnership is that United Global Services, 1K and Premier Platinum members receive the highest tier elite status Hertz offers (Hertz President’s Circle), since this normally requires 20 rentals or over $4,000 in annual. Perks of this status include confirmed availability during sold-out times, confirmed one-car class upgrades and bonus Gold Plus Rewards Points.
Welcome to The Points Guy!