This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Southwest Airlines is currently running a winter fare sale, where you can score some cheap flights from $49 each way to many of their destinations.
These fares are based on distance, and one-way fares start at only $49, $99, $129 or $149. To take advantage of these cheap fares, you must book by October 16 for travel December 3-17, 2014 and January 6-February 11, 2015.
Here are some examples of $49 fares:
- From Atlanta, FL to Jacksonville, FL
- From Austin, TX to New Orleans, LA
- From Baltimore, MD to Providence, RI
- From Chicago (Midway), IL to Pittsburgh, PA
- From Las Vegas, NV to Los Angeles, CA
- From Phoenix, AZ to Los Angeles, CA
The great thing that in addition to offering cheap airfare, Southwest award redemptions are based on the cash price, so flights using Southwest Rapid Rewards are currently as low as 2,214 points each way, meaning you can book round-trip flights for around 4,500 points, which is a great deal!
Searching from Phoenix to Los Angeles in December, I was able to find plenty of availability for $49 each-way.
You can book those same flights for only 2,214 points each way!
Baltimore to Boston is another route offering the same fares of $49 or 2,214 Rapid Rewards points each way.
Southwest is a 1:1 transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards, and you can transfer in increments of 1,000 points, so you can transfer over points from the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus.
Another card to consider is the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card, which is offering a sign-up bonus of 40,000 Rapid Rewards points after you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. If you have a Southwest Companion Pass, you can get even more value out of these flights, since your companion can fly free with you even on award tickets.
If you decide to book these flights with cash and want to maximize your earnings, you can get 3x Membership Rewards points on airfare with the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express or 2x Ultimate Rewards on the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
As a reminder, Southwest offers free changes and cancellations, so even if you’ve already booked travel, you can change for free if the route is on sale in order to rebook at the lower price and you’ll get a voucher for future use!
Feel free to share below what flights you were able to score!
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.